Question very slow internet when i extend it

iguwo

Prominent
Dec 23, 2020
hi, so i have an ethernet cable in my room but its super short and wont reach my setup and due to all the furniture in my room and the way my room and setup is designed im not able to move everything, my problem lies here
before i had all this my setup was connected straight to the ethernet cable had good internet and good download speed, ever since i had to move my setup to another area in my room and got an extender my internet has been really horrible, everything i download has around 700kb/s i used to have 50 mb/s, and streaming is impossible too now since everything has tetris quality, here is a picture to what i currently have : View: https://imgur.com/a/oVboWY6

pls help me with what i should change and what i should do, because i cant do much with my internet being like this

thanks in advance

Could have a bad cable and/or the couple could be defective.

Check the speed the computer negotiated with the router. Most cases it should be gbit unless you have a older router and then maybe only 100mbps but it still should be faster than what you are getting. It might be running at 10mbit which generally means there is some cabling problem, the same would be true if the router has gbit ports and it is only running 100mbps.

iguwo

Prominent
Dec 23, 2020
Is that device just a coupler?
Try swapping out the cable on your computer end. Also, temporarily move your computer back so you could plug it directly in as it was before to test speeds.
okay thank you i will try, and i honestly dont know what a coupler is, my dad just told me to buy this product to extend my cable

iguwo

Prominent
Dec 23, 2020
Could have a bad cable and/or the couple could be defective.

Check the speed the computer negotiated with the router. Most cases it should be gbit unless you have a older router and then maybe only 100mbps but it still should be faster than what you are getting. It might be running at 10mbit which generally means there is some cabling problem, the same would be true if the router has gbit ports and it is only running 100mbps.
i dont have a router anywhere near, its connected through the walls with a cable in my entire house 4 floors up

iguwo

Prominent
Dec 23, 2020
Edit, so it wasnt my cable, it has to do with my computer, i tried a lot of different things such as different cables, instead a router as an extender everything, everything gave the same results on my computer, however when i took my brothers laptop and tried it with the same cables i got 90 mbs on the laptop, any idea on why my computer is capping it to 10 mbps?