very slow internet

tigg

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
it happened a few days ago when i got home from work.. my internet speed was so slow that its not even worth using. i have 2 computers hooked up to it and only 1 is very slow. i have used my smartphone as a hot spot and its fine when i do that. im stuck using wifi when i try to plug in my ethernet cable it wont use it to connect.. like it cant find it idk. i noticed an orange light when i plug it in idk if thats normal or not. i

i have tried to restore my computer a few times but it failed every time. i tried a few times from safe mode and now i have lost the older restore points.

i have dell xps 8300 running windows 7
zhone modem
linksys router

the other computer that works with with my internet is windows 10. so maybe it could be a problem with windows 7?

as far as ik nothing has changed idk what caused this problem

Go in to Device Manager and uninstall your network adapter. Reboot and let Windows "discover" the adapter and install the driver. If it doesn't you may need to download the driver on your other computer and and then reinstall it or you might be able to use the driver disk that came with your motherboard.

tigg

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
hotspot is wifi correct
in device manager i only have 1 thing under network adapter thats dw1502 wireless-n wlan half-mini card
under that i see other devices with ethernet controller and sm bus controller in it

tigg

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
i flushed the dns and booted into safe mode had good connection the whole time i was in safe mode. so i booted back up normal had good connection for about an hour and now its bad again

tigg

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
i got the connection working again. i went into my router settings disabled the 5 ghz network and then activated it again. seems to have fixed w/e was wrong

should i try to install the drivers for ethernet controller and sm bus controller?

tigg

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
thanks for the link had a lot of updating to do..

it was able to dl the driver for the sm bus controller but still nothing for the ethernet controller. where do i find the driver for that?

tigg

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
i was unable to get the driver cuz i need microsoft snmp service i tried to get microsoft tech to help me with this but that didnt work at all

my internet speed went bad again. i reset the 5ghz network ( im connected to the 2.4ghz) any idea why this works?

Not really, but the issue might be connected to interference at the 5 ghz frequency or even a problem with the router itself. You might try changing the router channel to a less connected one and see if things improve.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21132/change-your-wi-fi-router-channel-to-optimize-your-wireless-signal/

TRENDING THREADS