Very slow loading times after vacuuming

filipzetomic

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
My computer has picked up a lot of dust so I decided to do a quick vacuum clean. After booting up the PC, I noticed it froze so I reset. Everything seems normal after the reset. More and more problems arise with each time I boot up the PC. It eventually took 1hr and 20min to bootup. I then installed a fresh copy of W10 only to make the load times 10mins. It is manageable but then I would get random messages from Windows saying "Your computer will automatically restart in 1 minute". It will then proceed to make temporary desktops on every restart (I get the "Preparing your desktop"). I also get blue screen crashes. It's a real nightmare

Solution
Was the PC powered off at least when vacuumed?

There is a huge difference between canned air and vacuum. We pay the money for canned air for a reason. Vacuums have very noisy (electircal noise, not just audible noise) electrical motors that can produce a lot of static electricity.

Do go through and check all your cables but decent possibility the vacuum caused ESD and shorted something.

filipzetomic

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Well to make the story simpler, It was actually my father who vacuumed. I saw him quite violently vacuuming underneath the CPU and such. But he's been doing this for years with no problem

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

so the area round the computer was vacuumed? or the computer was opened and vacuumed out? I assumed the second.
still re-verify the cable connections, the bumping against the chassis may have loosened something

Was the PC powered off at least when vacuumed?

There is a huge difference between canned air and vacuum. We pay the money for canned air for a reason. Vacuums have very noisy (electircal noise, not just audible noise) electrical motors that can produce a lot of static electricity.

Do go through and check all your cables but decent possibility the vacuum caused ESD and shorted something.

Solution