Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

Hi,

I have just built a new PC and reinstalled Windows 2000. On my old machine
(AMD1.3) the game ran OK, but with the new one (Semperon 2400+) the game
runs
very smoothly, except for the start and options menus which are v e r y s l
o w to react.

The only things that are different are the motherboard , the CPU and the
memory. I'm using the same version of Windows, with the same patches and
service packs, the same graphics card with the same drivers, the same
version of directx. I formatted the hard disk and reinstalled windows.

Once I'm into the game it plays much smoother than before, it just runs like
a slideshow in the menus. Any ideas what I should look for?

Old PC:
Asus A7V motherboard
AMD 1300 Thunderbird
512Mb PC133 memory
Gainward FX5700 256Mb Graphics (nvidia driver 61.77) 8x AGP clocked down to
2x

New PC:
Asus A7N8x-x motherboard
AMD Semperon 2400+
512Mb PC3200 (running at 333MHz to match CPU)
Gainward FX5700 256Mb Graphics (nvidia driver 61.77) 8x AGP

Note that my old motherboard did not support 8x AGP and I lowered it down to
2x as games would crash if I tried to run at 4x. I am using the 61.77
drivers as other games won't run with the 66.93 ones.

Any help appreciated.
Adam S

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

Forgot to say its Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 with the latest update patch that
I'm having trouble with.

One of those days so far.........

Adam S

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

I have just upgraded the video drivers to 71.84 and still no diference.

The start menu where you choose Options, Sandbox, Play etc appear to run for
5 seconds before they freeze for about 10 seconds, when they unfreeze for a
further 5 before freezing again. Gameplay itself does not have this problem,
but the problem returns if I go back to the main menu.

Can anyone offer any ideas before I sell the game on ebay?

Adam S

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

Hi Adam -
I don't have any video problems, so I can't offer any great advice except
that you should really check out the Atari Community Forums at Atari.com .
I suggest you first do a search and see if anyone else with the same problem
has posted. There are so many nice and helpful people there. I've learned
more about the game from that forum than from my own play.
Have fun!

liz