Very slow network file copy Win 10 to Win 10

pk1209

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2015
Hi,

Recently moved and have been setting up my home network, which is basically my main PC upstairs and my Home Theatre PC downstairs by the TV. I have a Sky Q router which has a cat 6 cable directly to a 2000mbps TP Link home plug. That goes to the other 2000mbps home plug to the PC upstairs, again connected via cat 6. The network speed on that PC shows 1gbps, so all good so far. I'm able to cap out my (mediocre) download speed of 60mbps or so quite happily via that setup so homeplug doesn't appear to be a problem so far, although i've yet to test the full throughput on the homeplug.

I then have a 1gbps switch connected to the router (only has 2 ports!) and that switch has got a cat 6 cable going to the media server, and the network speed on there is also showing as 1gbps, so again, all good. Also got a cat 6 going to the TV from the switch. That's all for cabled connections so far, everything else on wifi.

Now the confusing bit... when copying files to my HTPC from my main pc across what is showing as 1 gbps network i'm getting ridiculously slow file transfer speeds of about 3 megabytes per second, where it should be getting towards 100 on 1gbps network.

In m previous house everything was cat 6 cable to the router and files copied fine at 100mb/s every time. So the only theoretical difference should be the homeplug, but I already know that 3mb/s is less than what the homeplug is capable of, especially since I went all out on the 2000mbps ones!

I have tried bypassing the switch and that made no difference. I have switched off Large Send Offload (IP4 and 6) on both NICs to no avail...

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Cairnsagc

Commendable
May 20, 2016
The problem is going to be your internal power cabling is likely very old and of poor quality, or the cable is extremely long. Had the same issue with mine when moving house and using homeplug adapters. Resorted to routing cat6a cables everywhere, went from 200meg (at best) to the full 1gig.

pk1209

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2015
hi - the cabling in the house is actually pretty new by all accounts, less than 15 years old. That also wouldn't explain why I can download at 6mb/s from the internet and only move files on the network at 3mb/s!

Don't get me wrong, i'm getting pretty close to just figuring out a way to run cat 6 cable to the router but it won't be easy... before I go that route, there's definitely something not right with only getting 3mb/s on this setup...

Powerline adapters marketed top speed (in your case 2000Mbit/sec) is pretty much achieved only in optimal laboratory setups.
most likely actual maximum is around 10 to 15% of that.
Yes, shown link speed on your computer is shown as 1Gbit since it's that to the adapter, what it's speed is from there on is completely different matter.

that would still allow for 25 to 50MBytes/sec, which is far faster than normal hard disks can usually do.
So is the media servers disks Hard disks or SSD?

pk1209

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2015
Yeah, wasn't expecting to get 2000mbps, certainly not on a 1gbps network! Not sure what hard drives you have but before I moved, as I said in my post, I was copying files consistently at 100mb/s.

I'll try and run a long ethernet cable directly to the router temporarily and see if that sorts... I'll try and isolate the home plug as the issue.

pk1209

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2015
So land a length of cat 6 through the house last night bypassing the home plug and bang, right back to 100mb/s copy speed... so 2000mbps homeplugs giving me about 1% of that which is truly shocking on fairly modern wiring... i know there's a load of factors involved with home plugs and speed which is why I've always avoided them, but can't believe how poor the performance is. Already decided i'm going to run about 30m of cat 6 on the outside of the house to connect to the router/switch and the home plugs will go on ebay! Thanks for the hep folks...

TRENDING THREADS