Question Very SLOW read speed on SSD - what could be the problem?

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
Check this out on my 512GB SSD... basically the read speed on the FULL part of the drive is insanely slow, like LOWER Than HDD! Not only in this benchmark, but also when I transfer files, it does it at around 8-10MB/s... while from my slower on paper SSD, I get 450MB... what's the issue?

I couldn't attach a pic, but essentially it's 10-20MB/s from 0-260GB... then it jumps to 500-600 MB/s for the rest of the drive (empty part). The SSD is from a Thinkpad Carbon X1-6th gen I pulled out for my desktop, it's nvme m2. Running Windows 10 on Intel i7-4790K.

I've trimmed it a few times, no improvement. Any ideas?

Ueo77TE.png

Lutfij

Titan
The SSD is from a Thinkpad Carbon X1-6th gen I pulled out for my desktop, it's nvme m2. Running Windows 10 on Intel i7-4790K.
That leads me to ask, how you've paired the SSD to the motherboard that has the i7-4790K in it...? Adapter? Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard?

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
The SSD is from a Thinkpad Carbon X1-6th gen I pulled out for my desktop, it's nvme m2. Running Windows 10 on Intel i7-4790K.
That leads me to ask, how you've paired the SSD to the motherboard that has the i7-4790K in it...? Adapter? Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard?

It is Asus Z97-Pro with latest bios and has m.2 but with 2X speed. I had a Samsung 970Pro in there without any issues with both high read and write speed. This SSD also had decent speed but somehow now, the read is insanely low! The Crystal Mark is as below which seems fine but I think they do the test on the empty part of the SSD. I won't get full speed due to 2X PCI lane, but the speed under 260GB is just not right.

I am trying to secure erase SSD, but not sure how? My Intel, WD and Samsung tools don't do this one. Any ideas?

TdP9T3i.png

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
So, emptied the drive, formatted it, trimmed, and put the files back and now working OK?! Weird... I wonder if something was up, or the garbage collection on this SSD is crap. Who knows. For now, it's solved, I guess time will tell if it deteriorates.

TRENDING THREADS