[SOLVED] Very slow speeds with Powerline adapter

diogosequeira1906

Prominent
Jan 13, 2019
hi! I'm currently using a TP-Link AV500 Powerline adapter to connect my PC with ethernet, but I'm getting very slow speeds (20 mbps maximum).
Why am I getting such a slow speed?
Is there anything I can do to fix it?
Would it fix if I buy a newer and more powerful Powerline adapter?
Thank you.

Solution
I use the Netgear with the same "megabit" chipset. But truth is you'll never get anywhere near that speed unless you are on same circuit in same room. I get 60->80mbps from one floor to the next.

MOCA adapters typically do much better. They use the existing coax cable in your house and transmit the data in the UHF frequency range. As most people don't have ATSC, this shouldn't be an issue.

Powerline adapters are always fighting line noise which is quite common any time there's a motor, switching power supplies, or MOV's grounding running off the line. And the signal has a very low signal:noise ratio which means the signal degrades quickly with range.

RealBeast

Titan
hi! I'm currently using a TP-Link AV500 Powerline adapter to connect my PC with ethernet, but I'm getting very slow speeds (20 mbps maximum).
Why am I getting such a slow speed?
Is there anything I can do to fix it?
Would it fix if I buy a newer and more powerful Powerline adapter?
Thank you.
Sorry, but that sounds about right for that adapter. The AV2-1000 or better will get you around 180-220Mbps as they use MIMO by also using the ground wire. HERE is a list of good choices, or any of their newer models. You can often find them on sale for $50-60 a pair now.

Reactions: diogosequeira1906

RealBeast

Titan
Thank you! And what about TL-WPA8630PKIT? Have you tested it? That's the one I'm looking after.
Yes, I've used a couple where wireless extension was the primary goal and it worked very well. For gaming you do get a little more lag due to the wireless component, but it is much better than a simple wireless extender. It does also have Ethernet on the wireless module.

I use the Netgear with the same "megabit" chipset. But truth is you'll never get anywhere near that speed unless you are on same circuit in same room. I get 60->80mbps from one floor to the next.

MOCA adapters typically do much better. They use the existing coax cable in your house and transmit the data in the UHF frequency range. As most people don't have ATSC, this shouldn't be an issue.

Powerline adapters are always fighting line noise which is quite common any time there's a motor, switching power supplies, or MOV's grounding running off the line. And the signal has a very low signal:noise ratio which means the signal degrades quickly with range.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution