nicwat

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Hi all,
I'm after some advice as i'm not sure what to try next.
I'm suffering from extremely slow USB transfer speeds (400kb/s).
I'm using an asus p5n32-e motherboard with the nvidia chipset and vista ultimate 64-bit. I've found that a number of windows hotfixes for usb mention the nvidia however when i download and try to run them they say they are not relevant.
I'm probably being an idiot and missing something very basic but I can't seem to sort it.
Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Did you mean 400Mb/s? USB 1.0 maximum transfer speed is 12 Mb/s and USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/s. If you really get only 400 kb/s in Vista, what's the USB transfer rate if you boot from a CD and a different OS, e.g., Linux or BartPE with Windows XP?

nicwat

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Yeah, I mean 400kb/s. I was transferring a 700mb file yesterday and it took over 2 hours. I've tried booting XP from a USB and that seems fine so i guess it's a windows issue but not sure what it could be.

nicwat

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Yes,
I have a usb hub on the side of my monitor and it affects that, as well as the two in the side of my case and the 4 in the back of the pc.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Something to consider: if you have a USB 1.0 device
using the USB subsystem, all USB devices will operate
at that speed even if all USB ports are 2.0 (480 Mb/sec).

Try re-booting and testing the speed with a bona fide USB 2.0 device.

Also, your BIOS setting may be wrong for your USB subsystem;
and, you may need to update the USB driver(s) for your system.

p.s.
"B" is the recommended abbreviation for Bytes;
"b" is the recommended abbreviation for bits.

e.g.

"T" means Tera (trillion)
"G" means Giga (billion)
"M" means Mega (million)
"K" means Kilo (thousand)

"MB/sec" means MegaBytes per second
"Kb/sec" means Kilobits per second
etc.

MRFS

khelben1979

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

Why would he change the settings of the BIOS if it works correctly with XP?

khelben1979

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
What is the exact model of that motherboard (download cpuz here if you're uncertain)

Then look up the manufacturer of that motherboard maker and see if they have any drivers for your Vista over there.

And by looking at several other forums I have seen that you're not the only one has problems with slow speed on the usb ports with Vista. Here's one forum where they discuss this also.

nicwat

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Hi,
I have cpu-z and the mainboard is shown as:
Asus P5N32-E SLI with nForce 680i SLI chipset.

i took a look at that forum and there doesn't appear to be anything there that helps.

Thanks for your help though.

nicwat

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Can't see any applications in there that would really do anything.
There's 2 utilities; ASUS PC Probe II and ACPI driver for ATK 0110 virtual device. Neither of which look like they would do anything.
And as alvine said, it's socket 775.
Running out of ideas a bit now!
Thanks though.

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
look in the bios for something like 'usb high speed' or 'usb full speed'.. these are NOT the same. High speed is usb 2.0, full speed is 1.0. if you set for full speed, your bios programs the chipset to support only usb 1.0

hustler539

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I've had this problem, but running XP.
When looking around it seemed to be a nvidia/board isue rather than a OS problem. Most boards use the VIA USB controller chip integrated on the board so its a non issue, but not some nvidia boards(my A8N-SLI Deluxe). Unfortunately, they also don't provide the drivers for it and rely on your OS.
Reinstalling XP with a sp3 seemed to fix it for me.

tomcapizzi

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
So far I have read many postts and replies about SLOW USB ON VISTA.. and there has not been one solution posted.. anyone?.. Beuller?

Ninjedi

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
I changed the file system on the flash drive to NTFS instead on FAT32 and it worked super fast like it was supposed to. Not sure why the default allocation was FAT32, but it worked for me....