[SOLVED] Very small home network "project", am I right?

BD9a

Commendable
Nov 4, 2019
Hey, I have an room behind wall and I want to provide internet by cable to this room. I have an TP-Link Archer C6 with an 200mbps internet. The internet cable (rj-45) have to go through wall so then I need "Wall Plug".

What I have to buy (except tools) to make this "project" and to be sure everything will be compatible?
What type of cable I have to have (cat.5e, but what "installation type" - A or B)?
Can it be like - Type A from Router to Wall Plug, Type A from Wall Plug to Wall Plug (from one side to other side, inside wall), and then Type A from Wall Plug to Computer?
When I just need ~20meters (for safe lol) and there's only ~300meters available I can buy then can I buy completed cable and "just modify it"?

Last edited:
Solution
Where are you? Have stuff like Home depot?

What is the wall made of? What is the enviro you have to deal with getting the wire there?
IE, drop ceiling, run it across the floor, access to basement or attic, sheetrock/block, and so forth?

Very generally speaking you just need the CAT 5/6 wire. You can get crimpless RJ and the "female" side for the wall plate. Probably a box eliminator (HD likes to call this an "old installation" wall box). Most often schedule B is used for standard data install, but honestly just keep them the same on both ends and it really doesn't matter. Many of the DIY tool-less ends come with a color schedule printed on them.
Best not to bend data wires at a 90, use loops where possible. Avoid running parallel to...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

What is the wall made of? What is the enviro you have to deal with getting the wire there?
IE, drop ceiling, run it across the floor, access to basement or attic, sheetrock/block, and so forth?

Very generally speaking you just need the CAT 5/6 wire. You can get crimpless RJ and the "female" side for the wall plate. Probably a box eliminator (HD likes to call this an "old installation" wall box). Most often schedule B is used for standard data install, but honestly just keep them the same on both ends and it really doesn't matter. Many of the DIY tool-less ends come with a color schedule printed on them.
Best not to bend data wires at a 90, use loops where possible. Avoid running parallel to high voltage wires and watch proximity to light ballasts.

Solution

BD9a

Commendable
Nov 4, 2019

Best not to bend data wires at a 90, use loops where possible. Avoid running parallel to high voltage wires and watch proximity to light ballasts.
Im from Poland, I dont even know what is "Home depot" lol.
The wall is probably "Plasterboard". To be honest it's like one meter from router to targeted Computer, but between them is this wall. Just one wall, same floor. (Wireless is terrible).

What you want to use are called keystones. Most home improvement stores now sell these and a lot of them can be installed with no tools.

You can use either A or B but both ends must match. Now if you were to plug a cable that has A on both ends into a cable that has B on both ends it will work fine. All that matters is what goes in pin 1 comes out the other end on pin 1. The signals don't know what color the plastic is. What is key that you keep the pairs of wires correct and follow one of the standards.

Be careful to not buy fake cable. You want pure copper cable and make sure the wire size is 22-24, do not use flat or thin cable it will not fit in the connectors and does not meet the specs for a ethernet cable.

BD9a

Commendable
Nov 4, 2019
What you want to use are called keystones. Most home improvement stores now sell these and a lot of them can be installed with no tools.

You can use either A or B but both ends must match. Now if you were to plug a cable that has A on both ends into a cable that has B on both ends it will work fine. All that matters is what goes in pin 1 comes out the other end on pin 1. The signals don't know what color the plastic is. What is key that you keep the pairs of wires correct and follow one of the standards.

Be careful to not buy fake cable. You want pure copper cable and make sure the wire size is 22-24, do not use flat or thin cable it will not fit in the connectors and does not meet the specs for a ethernet cable.
Okay, thanks You both then. That was quick and that's probably all. Thanks.