Very strange FPS problem, FPS goes up when scanned with Avast.

Jan 26, 2019
Hello, I have this strange FPS problem on my PC. First a disclaimer: My PC is an office PC, not a gaming one. But compared to office PCs of people I know, my PC has very poor performance.

So I did not play a lot of software games until around 1.5 years ago on this PC. (My PC was bought in May 2016) I only played online games, and occasionally Minecraft. The FPS of Minecraft was around 40-50, and it worked out fine. Until recently, memory keeps on filling up and I get extreme FPS spikes of 1 fps.

But when I started playing Roblox and Fortnite, the FPS was very bad. The FPS of Roblox was only around 10-20. Fortnite not more than 30. I played with terrible FPS for about half a year and I found out that I strangely could increase the FPS by a lot if I scanned with Avast. I have no idea how Avast got on my computer to begin with, but I guess that might be part of the problem. Anyway, my FPS got up to around 50 in Roblox and also 50 in Fortnite.

I used this "solution" for a year now and I am absolutely sick to re-scan every 2 minutes. So I restored my computer and bought McAfee. Restoring did nothing and McAfee couldn't scan any malware. I am in need of a solution and I also want to know why scanning with Avast increases FPS. In case you are wondering, if I play while scanning with McAfee, it doesn't affect fps at all.

Here is my computer specs, if needed:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460S CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
RAM: 8GB
System type: 64bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Pen and Touch: Touch support with 10 Touch Points
Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Sorry for the broken English at times and please let me know what is wrong with my PC. Have a nice day!