[SOLVED] Very strange issue.

Mar 15, 2022
First off this is my first post on here so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to take this but this issue has been causing me grief for the past 6-9 months and I've ran out of options and ideas.
At some point for an unknown reason my pc started typing by itself, I went through checking the keyboard and although I didn't find any issue I got it replaced, it still happened. After about a month I managed to get it to type on to a word document, it is retyping things I've typed almost a month prior in a gmod game. When I restart the computer it goes away for several hours before coming back and doing it again.

Eventually I take it to my pc place and get the whole state checked, turns out my brand new SSD is corrupted, so that gets replaced and the whole system gets formatted for good messure, cut to last week it happens again, this time instead of of retyping keystrokes I made a month ago it's retyping what I did yesterday, and just now it's retyping what I typed 3 hours ago. I don't know what to do. It still does it when it's offline, still does it when the keyboard is u plugged.

I thought I was being hacked but how would a hacker have my exact keystrokes when I was playing a game 3 hours ago? The only thing I have to go on is this picture I took when restarting my computer during one of these episodes, I don't know what to make of it but I hope someone here does. It's a blank windows 10 app with no icon and no name that was stopping my pc from restarting. I've removed all of my personal documents from the PC as a precaution.

Solution
My guess is it's malware. I would try a CLEAN install of Windows. After the CLEAN install of Windows, make sure to install a reputable Antivirus/Malware program that runs continuously while your PC is turned on.

I'd then run for several days while disconnected from the internet to see if the issue returns.

After that, connect back up to the internet and see how it goes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?

so you replaced ssd and it still happens? What anti virus programs do you run?
try running this and see if it finds anything - https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us

I wonder if it happens in safe mode
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
if it doesn't happen in safe mode,
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
Well what kind of keyboard do you have? Could it be maybe that your keyboard has a macro function thats faulty, and if you have a keyboard app like razer synapse for example, it logs your faulty macros, and types it out even while the keyboard is disconnected.
Just a wild guess.

Ralston18

Titan
And if the typing just begins randomly you may be able to identify the culprit in other ways as well.

Immediately after booting open Task Manager, Resource Monitor, or Process Explore (Microsoft, free).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Use all three tools but only one at at time. Simply leave the chosen tool's window open and look for what changes when the ghost typing starts.

Look in Task Scheduler for some trigger that may be involved.

You can also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer: either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event that precedes or occurs just before the ghost typing begins.

Colif

Win 11 Master
check you don't have any macro software that might have recorded the keystrokes
wonder if its a random buggy mouse or something. mice can have macro functions. My mouse can have macros to do keyboard actions.. not sure how it would access the text though.

would be odd but:
go to settings/accounts/sync my settings
turn this off and see if it makes any difference

Could use process monitor but what process to watch? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
could run a keylogger but not sure if any trace processes. Its not that you want to record your typing, you want to work out whats typing

Mar 15, 2022
Well what kind of keyboard do you have? Could it be maybe that your keyboard has a macro function thats faulty, and if you have a keyboard app like razer synapse for example, it logs your faulty macros, and types it out even while the keyboard is disconnected.
Just a wild guess.
come to think of it this did start around the time I got a new keyboard, which does have macros, I'll look into this when I get home!

My guess is it's malware. I would try a CLEAN install of Windows. After the CLEAN install of Windows, make sure to install a reputable Antivirus/Malware program that runs continuously while your PC is turned on.

I'd then run for several days while disconnected from the internet to see if the issue returns.

After that, connect back up to the internet and see how it goes.

Solution