Question Very strange network problem

Apr 18, 2020
Hi.
The wifi connection is very weak in my room, so a few days ago I bought a 20m long utp cable, plugged it in to my router and connected the other end to my laptop in my room. That is when things started to get weird. Firstly, there were no internet through the cable, so I called my internet supplier. They said the LAN ports on the back of the router were wrongly set up, but they fixed it.
After that the Internet worked through the cable, but it was still unusable. The connection dropped so often, I could not open a web page. The bult in windows network diagnostic could not find the issue.
I updated literally all the drivers on my computer but the issue remained the same.
There is another computer in my home, a proper PC with a utp cable connection only. The internet worked on that system, so I pulled out the utp cable out of it, and plugged it in to my laptop to see if the issue is in the new cable or in my laptop. There were no internet on my laptop, so it seemed like my laptop was the faulty part.
After that I updated my BIOS, which suddenly solved the issue, the internet worked fine, at least it seemed.
Ever since then, the connection keeps dropping both (!) on my laptop and the PC randomly. The network diagnostic said both have a DNS issue. If I turn the router off and on again, or reboot the systems, the internet comes back, but then randomly drops again.
I tried google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 dns severs, but that didn't solved the problem. Its really annoying and makes things like gaming impossible. And the strangest part is: Wifi works fine always. Even when one of the utp connected computers have problem. How could I solve this issue? It's driving me nuts.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi.
The wifi connection is very weak in my room, so a few days ago I bought a 20m long utp cable, plugged it in to my router and connected the other end to my laptop in my room. That is when things started to get weird. Firstly, there were no internet through the cable, so I called my internet supplier. They said the LAN ports on the back of the router were wrongly set up, but they fixed it.
After that the Internet worked through the cable, but it was still unusable. The connection dropped so often, I could not open a web page. The bult in windows network diagnostic could not find the issue.
I updated literally all the drivers on my computer but the issue remained the same.
There is another computer in my home, a proper PC with a utp cable connection only. The internet worked on that system, so I pulled out the utp cable out of it, and plugged it in to my laptop to see if the issue is in the new cable or in my laptop. There were no internet on my laptop, so it seemed like my laptop was the faulty part.
After that I updated my BIOS, which suddenly solved the issue, the internet worked fine, at least it seemed.
Ever since then, the connection keeps dropping both (!) on my laptop and the PC randomly. The network diagnostic said both have a DNS issue. If I turn the router off and on again, or reboot the systems, the internet comes back, but then randomly drops again.
I tried google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 dns severs, but that didn't solved the problem. Its really annoying and makes things like gaming impossible. And the strangest part is: Wifi works fine always. Even when one of the utp connected computers have problem. How could I solve this issue? It's driving me nuts.
You have three possible problems. Laptop hardware, laptop software, network hardware. You have to use different techniques to determine WHERE the problem is. Booting a Linux live CD/USB will eliminate the software on the laptop, for example. Connecting a different device by the wired connection can help eliminate the laptop hardware. Moving the laptop near the router and using a short cable will eliminate the cable. Etc.

Reactions: Winxentinus
Apr 18, 2020
You have three possible problems. Laptop hardware, laptop software, network hardware. You have to use different techniques to determine WHERE the problem is. Booting a Linux live CD/USB will eliminate the software on the laptop, for example. Connecting a different device by the wired connection can help eliminate the laptop hardware. Moving the laptop near the router and using a short cable will eliminate the cable. Etc.

I tried the Linux live USB boot, but the internet doesn't worked.
No luck with a sorter cable either.
I tried 3 different laptops and one desktop PC, and only one laptop worked fine.
So... It looks like a network hardware issue. Right?

kanewolf

Titan
I tried the Linux live USB boot, but the internet doesn't worked.
No luck with a sorter cable either.
I tried 3 different laptops and one desktop PC, and only one laptop worked fine.
So... It looks like a network hardware issue. Right?
I don't know. You still have too many unknowns. A laptop not working with ethernet on a Linux live OS. Why?
What does "no luck with a shorter cable" mean? It was non-functional? Or it was unchanged?

Apr 18, 2020
I don't know. You still have too many unknowns. A laptop not working with ethernet on a Linux live OS. Why?
What does "no luck with a shorter cable" mean? It was non-functional? Or it was unchanged?

So as you said above, there are 3 possible problems: Laptop hardware, Laptop software and Network hardware.
First: I tested the ethernet connection on 4 different devices: My own laptop, two other laptops and a desktop pc. I found the same ethernet connection issue in 3 of them, so it can't be a laptop hardware related issue, unless all the 3 devices broke at the same time, and the same way.

Yes, the ethernet connection seemed to work on the fourth device, so I suspected a software issue, because all the other tested devices have one thing in common: all use the same windows 10 what I installed on them the same way. If it is a software related issue, then as you suggested, the ethernet connection should work with the Linux live OS. So secondly I tested that too, but the issue was present even with the Linux live OS. Therefor its not a software problem.

I also tried a different, shorter utp cable, which is known to be working, but the ethernet connection sill not worked properly even with that cable.

So, as I see, It can't be a hardware issue, can't be a software issue, and can't be a cable issue. The only remaining option is the modem/router.