[SOLVED] Very strange pc behaviour

atsikan

Prominent
May 17, 2019
My pc has had this issue where it started boot looping after being put to sleep for months( didn't happen often but still did) but i didn't think much of it. Now last week my pc started force shutting down out of nowhere, only sometimes showing the shutting down screen. And then it would start boot looping to show something unstable caused it and sometimes it wouldn't even post, just loop for a few minutes and then i couldn't turn it on. Only if the pc was very lightly shaked or slapped(i know it sounds weird but its the only way it even turned on). So i tested a different psu, that i know was good and had used before, still same issue. Before long i found out i had faulty ram, changed to an old ram that was good to use and cleared cmos to be able to finally use pc for a few days. Even now, games crash out of nowhere(which ive seen is usually ram issue but according to windows memory diagnostic the newer stick is fine) and the games don't use up all my 8gb of ram. And now another day later my pc has started to shut down again and boot looping, even though i run everything at stock, no xmp profiles or oc's.

So what i'm trying to figure out is, if my motherboard is dying or is suddenly my whole pc dying, since everything besides motherboard has been bought in the last few years, and i've tested my older components aswell only to see same results.

Going to list my components here just incase that helps:
Ryzen 5 1600
Gigabyte radeon rx580
Corsair lpx 8gb 2133mhz(which i swapped in after my previous 16gb kit proved to be faulty)
Asus prime b350m-a
Samsung qvo 1tb
Seasonic focus+ gold 650w

Solution
If hitting it seems to help, then it seems quite likely that a component is loose. Loose RAM chips could certainly lead to a booting cycle. Does the motherboard have a speaker attached? A speaker should be sounding out a beep code, this code can then be checked on the motherboard troubleshooting page and will help identify which component is causing the issue.

Generally, I suggest checking that components are all secure, particularly RAM. If the motherboard is old and components have been changed often, then loose connections are likely and may be fixed by taping them in place. I sometimes have a problem with my own RAM chips working loose due to the CPU fan vibrating them and every few months they need a little push (I'm in the...

atsikan

Prominent
May 17, 2019
Some developments to my issue:
-SSD is fine
-First RAM stick that was originally shown in windows memory diagnostic to be faulty is also fine, the other one is currently testing.
-I am starting to question my RAM slots themselves, as those issues happened when I had a stick of RAM in the first three slots and pc seems to run somewhat fine if I only got a stick in 4th slot.
I am yet to reseat my CPU in-case its a memory controller contact issue, but at this point my hope is non-existent about this motherboard being fine.

Edit: Other RAM stick was also fine, reseating cpu seems to have helped for now, but I don't know yet if that is the complete fix to this issue or not.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
according to Manual
1 stick of ram - should be in slot A2
2 sticks - A2, B2
4 sticks - obvious
Page 1-12 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...0M-A/E12357_PRIME_B350M-A_UM_WEB_20170712.pdf
not sure what you do with 3 since its not specific. I know thats not question, it just makes me wonder.

if you keep having problems, try testing both sticks in A2 & B2. Since sticks are okay, if you do get any errors, it could be the motherboard slots.

atsikan

Prominent
May 17, 2019
Oh sorry for not clarifying, while I was testing with just one stick of ram I couldn't really do anything with the first three slots, only B2 was working properly, hence I could only test with B2, but otherwise yes I'm running them in A2, B2. And while my pc does actually run decent now, my apps still keep crashing for some reason so I guess I'm gonna get a new board anyways.

RichardWood1

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
If hitting it seems to help, then it seems quite likely that a component is loose. Loose RAM chips could certainly lead to a booting cycle. Does the motherboard have a speaker attached? A speaker should be sounding out a beep code, this code can then be checked on the motherboard troubleshooting page and will help identify which component is causing the issue.

Generally, I suggest checking that components are all secure, particularly RAM. If the motherboard is old and components have been changed often, then loose connections are likely and may be fixed by taping them in place. I sometimes have a problem with my own RAM chips working loose due to the CPU fan vibrating them and every few months they need a little push (I'm in the tropics so my CPU fan is big enough to power an aircraft). Your own RAM might be having the same problem and working loose this way.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"

Solution