Very strange problem

conquer7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
58
0
18,630
I very recently purchased a e machines e 350,it has had not problem so far but when maybe a day after i had purchased it, i went to turn the net book towards me, doing this i touched a usb port, and then then computer shut down like i held in the power button and i received a rather mild shock, could barley feel it. i would like to know if this is normal or a defect with the net book. And also the net book turned back on. this has happened three times before i realized how it was shutting down. It is running normally now though.
 
Solution
You cannot feel 5v; I suspect that you had the laptop powered by the mains when you got the shock. Try it again with the laptop running on batteries; I suspect that nothing will happen (providing no other mains powered equipment is connected).
The power supply ground is floating at half mains voltage and as there is no ground connection the charge is dependent on the capacitance of the switching mains transformer. You then touched the ground of the USB port and the current surge caused a volt drop which shut down the computer. This is normal on all mains powered equipment without an earth connection. Laptops do not have an earth connection because of earth loops.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
726
0
19,160
Sounds like your briding the connectors on teh USB ports and shorting it out, hench the shock.
It will be mild as there is only 5v in a usb socket.

Unfortunately thats what you get when you buy emachines, they are cheap for a reason.

Either dont touch it or put some tape over it.
 
You cannot feel 5v; I suspect that you had the laptop powered by the mains when you got the shock. Try it again with the laptop running on batteries; I suspect that nothing will happen (providing no other mains powered equipment is connected).
The power supply ground is floating at half mains voltage and as there is no ground connection the charge is dependent on the capacitance of the switching mains transformer. You then touched the ground of the USB port and the current surge caused a volt drop which shut down the computer. This is normal on all mains powered equipment without an earth connection. Laptops do not have an earth connection because of earth loops.
 
Solution

conquer7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
58
0
18,630
Solved, called up Emachines and they said to shut it off , take out battery and power plug, hold in power button for 30 seconds, then put battery back and it now works fine. Emachines are not as bad as they say they are. Not sayin there the best though.
 

TRENDING THREADS