Very STRICT gaming PC budget build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bryh456

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Hello I am thinking of building a pretty solid gaming pc for maybe 400 dollars at most? I already have a 650ti gpu. But I still need a processor, Mobo, PSU, and RAM and I can get a cheap case. But anyone have any suggestions on what to get? Thanks!

Solution
your most welcome. have fun building your new machine. Oh one last thing I did not mention is the FX CPU is overclockable also as long as you get an after market cooler. Added performance when you can afford it.
ok your getting confused. The case I provided in the last build is cheaper than ALL provided here before ( yes I can find one for $20 but looks suck and poor ventilation to keep things cool) so I have already saved money there. The Seasonic PSU is slightly cheaper than the one I suggested in my first build BUT is one of the top of the line manufactures for quality. Yes I can get it cheaper and less powerful BUT there will be no room for upgrade. Look at the PSU like a heart of a body. Do you want a heart that is weak and has a short life span? No you don't. This part can go from system to system as you build new ones. this is why I suggested this route.

EDIT the Rosewill I suggested in my first build is just slightly poorer build quality than the Seasonic for more money.

Bryh456

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

Yes thats my point, I want to save money so it can go towards the OS. And also with the upgrading, I wont be upgrading anytime soon. And what about the Hard drive? What if I just take it out of the PC I am using now and put in in my new build WITH the new OS? Can I do that?

YES the re is no issues with doing so, as long as you have the new OS. I have 2 Hdd's and 1 SSD in this machine I'm on now. 1 is from an Acer PC i bought 6 years ago, 1 HDD i purchase separately for storage and the SSD for the OS. What you want to do will work, you just need a legal OS.

Bryh456

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

Ok and which processor would you prefer? A fx 6300 or a i3 4130? I am going to be playing bf4 and newer gen games. And they will be running with the 650ti.

ok making it easy as I can.
parts you have:

HDD - reused from current machine - will work in new machine
GPU - reused - will work in new machine

parts needed/ don't currently have

CPU- need new/ need to purchase
MB- need new/ need to purchase
Ram Need new/ need to purchase
PSU - Need new/ need to purchase
OS - Need new/ need to purchase
Case- need to get whether it is new or used it is needed.

OK I have broken it down to have and need lists for your build. this should clarify some confusion.

the FX-6300 hands down. 4 more cores and much better in threaded apps which is becoming way more prevalent and will continue to do so in the future.

even if the i3 is able to handle 4 threads (2 per core) you still get a 2 more threads with the FX CPU. go for the FX at your price range. if you can add an extra $100 bucks then maybe the Intel CPU will be best but price/performance AMD has it at a low budget. This is where AMD rules the market (budget builds). Intel has the performance but because of that you pay the premium for it (which is not budget friendly solution).

Bryh456

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

I cant go for an intel for this build. But it shouldn't be much of a difference to where we or I can notice it. But the 6300 would be better with the GPU and for the games that I will be playing?

Bryh456

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

Yep, I may get an aftermarket cooler later on. But thanks for all the info I appreciate it!

Bryh456

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Also, this would be my build in mind. And I can get the components for cheaper. But here is my build that will cost 400 dollars even if I get the components for different places than on the PCpart picker.