Very stupid question: how many display adapters can you chain together?

glowingmicrobe

Honorable
Mar 22, 2017
My girlfriend has a laptop that she would like to connect to an old monitor I have lying around. The problem is that the monitor only accepts a dvi-d connection. The monitor is 1440p, which dvi-d can handle, but most adapters cannot unless they are active. Furthermore, her laptop does not have a dvi-d port.

Short of buying a new monitor, would chaining several adapters together still push a signal through to the monitor? My plan is to use a USB C to display port adapter, with the USB-C connector connecting to the laptop. From there, I would plug an (active) display port to dvi-d adapter, with the display port going to the previous USB-C adapter, and the dvi-d connecting to a dvi-d cable, which will then connect to the monitor. Before I order these two adapters, would this work on theory?

Thanks!

Solution

That will only provide Single-Link DVI, which has a maximum of 1920×1080 at 60 Hz.

DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI active adapters are hard enough to get working by themselves, so I wouldn't expect much from a chain of adapters. In theory, it could work though.

That will only provide Single-Link DVI, which has a maximum of 1920×1080 at 60 Hz.

DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI active adapters are hard enough to get working by themselves, so I wouldn't expect much from a chain of adapters. In theory, it could work though.

Solution