Question Very Unstable Framerate

Dec 1, 2019
Hi, My name is Declan and I built my PC around 3 to 4 years ago, my main problem is that my system just cannot keep a stable framerate at all. When I swapped to a new GPU, I was surprised to find out that it was capable of running fortnite at med-high setting at 4k no problem. But then when I set up my system at my desk with my 1080p monitor and got into an actual game. I would hit high framerates of around 170 and lows of 10, there is so much jitter, and changing the settings to the lowest did not help. This is the same with other games I have for example Destiny 2, the framerate says it is around 60 but it dips so much and the settings don't change a thing.

Is it just the CPU, motherboard and RAM I need to update? I'm not sure, any help is seriously appreciated.

My specs are:
AMD Athlon X4 760k quad-core CPU
MSI A78M-E35 (MS-7721)
8GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix sport 1600MHZ
Sapphire Radeon RX570 4gb
Some generic ass HDD, I forget

The old X4 is often trounced by Pentiums/i3 CPUs of the same timeframe, much less the savage beatdown in frame rate comparisons by pretty much all i7 and even Core2 processors....

There might be no solution with that processor for most modern games, assuming your drivers are all installed correctly....

Reactions: dec5star

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Hi Declan!
I just looked up your CPU because i didnt even know it.
As it seems it's pretty old and therefore a bit slow...
Just for comparison here's a 7700k (2016) vs your cpu

CPU Comparison

I can see why it might be running better in 4k than with 1080p
With 4k the GPU is the "bottleneck" and therefore the GPU is doing more work than the CPU
While with 1080p on the other hand there is way more FPS and therefore the CPU has much more work to do.
And because your CPU seems a bit slow that might be why you are having a Problem gaming in 1080p

Reactions: dec5star and dorsai
Dec 1, 2019
Hi Declan!
I just looked up your CPU because i didnt even know it.
As it seems it's pretty old and therefore a bit slow...
Just for comparison here's a 7700k (2016) vs your cpu

CPU Comparison

I can see why it might be running better in 4k than with 1080p
With 4k the GPU is the "bottleneck" and therefore the GPU is doing more work than the CPU
While with 1080p on the other hand there is way more FPS and therefore the CPU has much more work to do.
And because your CPU seems a bit slow that might be why you are having a Problem gaming in 1080p

What the what, this actually worked. I setup a virtual resolution at 3840 x 2160 on my 1080p monitor and it ran like a charm. Thanks !