Question VERY unstable gpu usage in Fortnite with the RX580 4GB

Aug 16, 2020
Hi,

I have always had a bad stuttering problem in games. But the stuttering in Fortnite by far tops it all. I usually get around 100-80% gpu usage and every second it will drop down to 0. It's never at 100% for more than a second or two. My CPU usage is normally at around 50-70%.

I'm really not sure what could be causing this. It has made the game practically unplayable. What do you think?

Specs:
RX 580 4GB
I7-7700k
B250M Bazooka
1TB Sandisk SSD (Fortnite is installed here)
1 TB Western Digital HDD
16 GB of RAM
All software is up to date.

Jan 11, 2020
The GPU reaches about 83 degrees Celsius. I have no idea what PSU I have. This a prebuilt. Is there anyway to check the model? Would I have to take it out of the PC?

The GPU might be throttling down because it reached the max. temperature before any harm is caused (but I am pretty sure 84c is the max. safe temp.)

Try monitoring the fan speeds whilst gaming and if they are low, try adjusting the fan curve or just make them run at 100 % while you are gaming (if you don't mind the extra noise) as fans are designed to safely run at 100 %.

Aug 16, 2020
The GPU might be throttling down because it reached the max. temperature before any harm is caused (but I am pretty sure 84c is the max. safe temp.)

Try monitoring the fan speeds whilst gaming and if they are low, try adjusting the fan curve or just make them run at 100 % while you are gaming (if you don't mind the extra noise) as fans are designed to safely run at 100 %.
My fans are running at 100% and the graphics are on the lowest.

you need driver 20.10.1 or better, you will see those usage spikes go away completely once updated to those drivers, I had the same issue. Initially I believed I had a bitcoin miner accientally installed with some software. As soon as I got to the driver I mentioned it was resolved.

The issue for me anyway only really appeared after
20.8.3 or so but was fixed entirely with 20.10.1

Aug 16, 2020
you need driver 20.10.1 or better, you will see those usage spikes go away completely once updated to those drivers, I had the same issue. Initially I believed I had a bitcoin miner accientally installed with some software. As soon as I got to the driver I mentioned it was resolved.

The issue for me anyway only really appeared after
20.8.3 or so but was fixed entirely with 20.10.1
I'm using driver 20.11.2