[SOLVED] Very unusual battery charge question

May 8, 2020
Hi

I bought a new Spectre x2 2 years ago but then went overseas for 18 months and left my Spectre x2 on the shelf at home. I'd only used it 40 hours and it worked perfectly on charge and on battery.

I turned it on this week and it operated normally except an error message on the taskbar battery icon "0% available (plugged in, not charging)" Also the LED light is constantly blinking white light and when i unplug it it immediately switches off.

I ran apower diagnostic through UEFI and the AC Adapter has passed but the Battery is coming up as NOT INSTALLED.

I have then:

• run hard resets for devises that don't have a disconnectable battery x 4 (the CMOS 502 error message comes up each time i do a hard reset however it autocorrects itself and doesn't appear again if i boot up normally)
  • updated Windows 10 64 bit with ALL updates
  • ran a driver check via HP Assistant saying all drivers installed
  • device manager went to firmware and updated driver (said it's the latest version)
  • went to BIOS and checked yes it's version F.34 latest version
  • wound back the BIOS to previous version in case latest BIOS install was corrupt
  • reinstalled latest BIOS
  • did Windows system troubleshoot on Power settings
  • did UEFI checks on all hardware

aaaaaand it still says "0% available (plugged in, not charging"

need help

Solution
You need a new battery as existing one has been left in flat state for too long and it can no longer hold a charge.

Batteries lose power over time even when not being used, and if not recharged regularly they will become useless.

Had your absence been only a month or two you might have got away with it, but not 18 months.
May 8, 2020
Hi

I bought a new Spectre x2 2 years ago but then went overseas for 18 months and left my Spectre x2 on the shelf at home. I'd only used it 40 hours and it worked perfectly on charge and on battery.

I turned it on this week and it operated normally except an error message on the taskbar battery icon "0% available (plugged in, not charging)" Also the LED light is constantly blinking white light and when i unplug it it immediately switches off.

I ran apower diagnostic through UEFI and the AC Adapter has passed but the Battery is coming up as NOT INSTALLED.

I have then:

• run hard resets for devises that don't have a disconnectable battery x 4 (the CMOS 502 error message comes up each time i do a hard reset however it autocorrects itself and doesn't appear again if i boot up normally)
  • updated Windows 10 64 bit with ALL updates
  • ran a driver check via HP Assistant saying all drivers installed
  • device manager went to firmware and updated driver (said it's the latest version)
  • went to BIOS and checked yes it's version F.34 latest version
  • wound back the BIOS to previous version in case latest BIOS install was corrupt
  • reinstalled latest BIOS
  • did Windows system troubleshoot on Power settings
  • did UEFI checks on all hardware

aaaaaand it still says "0% available (plugged in, not charging"

need help

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
From my knowledge of batteries, there is a chance due to prolonged storage and the self discharge, the battery has dropped below critical voltage, hence the self protection circuits will not allow it to be charge for fear of accident.

Unless you can find a way to charge the battery above that voltage, the alternative would be to replace it.

(This is my best guess from the issue)

Alvis

Reactions: majukic78
Leaving a lithium battery for a prolonged period of time either fully or nearly fully charged will damage the battery. It’s the same if you leave them nearly fully discharged. Lithium batteries are best stored for long periods of time at about 30-40% charge. There is a good chance if your battery was left either nearly fully charged or empty that the battery has died.

Reactions: majukic78
You need a new battery as existing one has been left in flat state for too long and it can no longer hold a charge.

Batteries lose power over time even when not being used, and if not recharged regularly they will become useless.

Had your absence been only a month or two you might have got away with it, but not 18 months.

Solution