[SOLVED] Very, Very Hot GPU ?

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Hi to everyone!
I have an old assembly.
My GPU is Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT 1Gb
Just idle temps are about 90-100°C
I think that it cant be normal and what can I do?
Thanks!

Solution
You should also spend a few dollars and get a second fan blowing put on the rear of the case, put the front back back to an intake fan so you have cool air flowing across your components and out the back. Someone clearly removed the fan from that video card, that design of heatsink is made for a fan to be on it.

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
With a gpu that old it very likely needs new thermal paste if it’s never been changed.

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.
But there is no cooler on the GPU. Therefore thermal paste version I think is gone? or not?
In my case I have just only one rear 80x80mm fan in a whole case.
It was for intake, but yesterday when I cleaned my pc case from dust, I changed its direction to exhaust. And temps of GPU were going above 100c in very short time closer to its max temp (105c)
And after monitoring GPU's temps I decided to change back to intake direction, and now it is about 99-101c after one-hour simple working and internet browsing. No, any gaming if it would possible ))

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
By getting a better case with more fans, it would potentially solve the problem. Also, try putting the fan speeds to 100% if it has one.

It's just exactly as you say. One 80x80mm intake fan with 3000+ rpm approx.

I already going to make a new assembly. And this one will be not useful soon. I just want to solve the problem with It!

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.
But there is no cooler on the GPU. Therefore thermal paste version I think is gone? or not?
In my case I have just only one rear 80x80mm fan in a whole case.
It was for intake, but yesterday when I cleaned my pc case from dust, I changed its direction to exhaust. And temps of GPU were going above 100c in very short time closer to its max temp (105c)
And after monitoring GPU's temps I decided to change back to intake direction, and now it is about 99-101c after one-hour simple working and internet browsing. No, any gaming if it would possible ))
There must be at least a heat sink even if it’s passively cooled. If there is actually no cooler then that’s the problem.

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
There must be at least a heat sink even if it’s passively cooled. If there is actually no cooler then that’s the problem.

It works already for 10 years with these conditions.
I just start monitoring its temp only from yesterday, after launching PC without side panels for the first time and feeling that coming warm air from the GPU. Probably it worked with that temps always.
So can I hope it will be worked after this? :)
Or it is very high-critical and I should do something?

It works already for 10 years with these conditions.
I just start monitoring its temp only from yesterday, after launching PC without side panels for the first time and feeling that coming warm air from the GPU. Probably it worked with that temps always.
So can I hope it will be worked after this? :)
Or it is very high-critical and I should do something?
100c is too hot and prolonged use will shorten the life of the gpu. Thermal paste degrades slowly with time and usage and could be preventing the heat from effectively being transferred to the cooler. The picture you supplied was for the pc, can you share a picture of the underside of the gpu.

Reactions: Web Dev

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
100c is too hot and prolonged use will shorten the life of the gpu. Thermal paste degrades slowly with time and usage and could be preventing the heat from effectively being transferred to the cooler. The picture you supplied was for the pc, can you share a picture of the underside of the gpu.

View: https://imgur.com/1suasff

View: https://imgur.com/gZoIspB

View: https://imgur.com/pWId9Yb

View: https://imgur.com/jt5aufq

View: https://imgur.com/vmRzbBi

shiriken

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
There needs to be a fan on top of that heatsink which looks like it is missing. You will notice a white 2 pin header top right near I/O. You can try finding a third party fan to fit on top check on aliexpress do a search for GT 9500 fan

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
There needs to be a fan on top of that heatsink which looks like it is missing. You will notice a white 2 pin header top right near I/O. You can try finding a third party fan to fit on top check on aliexpress do a search for GT 9500 fan

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Now I think it really can solve my high-temperature issue.
So can you please help me with this choice also?

12V 2pin version 40x40mm fan can be good in my case? what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Guys!
I have decide to get a small fan to set it on top of the heatsink, also get a thermal paste and change the old one.
But before that I want to clean my GPU from dust with brush and also I want to know can I disconnect the heatsink, clean it and chip from old thermal paste and reconnect them without thermal paste YET! I just thinking that removing of old and already very dry thermal paste can little bit help for now. Or not? What you think? Please let me know.

You should also spend a few dollars and get a second fan blowing put on the rear of the case, put the front back back to an intake fan so you have cool air flowing across your components and out the back. Someone clearly removed the fan from that video card, that design of heatsink is made for a fan to be on it.

Solution

Web Dev

Prominent
May 7, 2020

Ok, got it! Thanks! ;)