[SOLVED] GPU fails when standing up from my chair

arch_angel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
You guys wouldn't believe this.. or am I just dumb and there is a simple explanation to this..

So I've just recently built a computer using brand new parts, except for the GPU. I ran the new computer and it's been fine for a day or two. Until today I have decided to put back my old GPU permanently (it's a vega 56).

Very very strange thing happened... When I get up from my chair, the GPU fails. The computer still is on, but the screen turns black. I'm not joking. I got my wifey to try this, but she doesn't trigger this, ONLY me triggers this. AND only this CHAIR. I've tried a different chair and it doesn't trigger this. I have tried many many times and I can confirm this without a shadow of a doubt it's happening, just me and just this chair.

What could be the cause? If you guys don't believe me I will upload a video showing this on youtube and link this here.. I just can't think of any explanation to this phenomena..

Solution
You guys wouldn't believe this.. or am I just dumb and there is a simple explanation to this..

So I've just recently built a computer using brand new parts, except for the GPU. I ran the new computer and it's been fine for a day or two. Until today I have decided to put back my old GPU permanently (it's a vega 56).

Very very strange thing happened... When I get up from my chair, the GPU fails. The computer still is on, but the screen turns black. I'm not joking. I got my wifey to try this, but she doesn't trigger this, ONLY me triggers this. AND only this CHAIR. I've tried a different chair and it doesn't trigger this. I have tried many many times and I can confirm this without a shadow of a doubt it's happening, just me and just...

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020

Very very strange thing happened... When I get up from my chair, the GPU fails. The computer still is on, but the screen turns black. I'm not joking. I got my wifey to try this, but she doesn't trigger this, ONLY me triggers this. AND only this CHAIR. I've tried a different chair and it doesn't trigger this. I have tried many many times and I can confirm this without a shadow of a doubt it's happening, just me and just this chair.

What could be the cause? If you guys don't believe me I will upload a video showing this on youtube and link this here.. I just can't think of any explanation to this phenomena..
Do you know if there is a lot of static charge around the PC, as this can cause the GPU to do stuff like this. I suspect you are wearing something that is picking up a static charge and this is somehow making contact or shocking the PC?

I think the problem is related to grounding and I would be checking the outlet and the case to make sure they were grounded.

I think the specific chair...and specifically you...conduct current to the floor in a way that doesn't happen when your wife sits in the chair. It might even have to do with what you have on your feet.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

arch_angel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I was thinking about static charges, but I don't believe this is the case. I am sitting around 2-3 feet away from the pc there's no way I can be in contact.

Just to confirm the following must happen to trigger this:

---me standing up from this one chair

I have tried rolling away and the pc is fine. I have tried standing up whilst rolled away and the pc is fine. It is when I'm at the desk position 2-3 feet away that when I stand up from this particular chair the screen goes black.

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
I was thinking about static charges, but I don't believe this is the case. I am sitting around 2-3 feet away from the pc there's no way I can be in contact.

Just to confirm the following must happen to trigger this:

---me standing up from this one chair

I have tried rolling away and the pc is fine. I have tried standing up whilst rolled away and the pc is fine. It is when I'm at the desk position 2-3 feet away that when I stand up from this particular chair the screen goes black.
Does your room have carpet where the PC is, or is it hard wood, or anything else? Also, a lot of factors depend on how much static is in a room. Like general location on the planet and weather. Luckily for me, I never have had this issue to the point where ive noticed it.

arch_angel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I think the problem is related to grounding and I would be checking the outlet and the case to make sure they were grounded.

I think the specific chair...and specifically you...conduct current to the floor in a way that doesn't happen when your wife sits in the chair. It might even have to do with what you have on your feet.

We're both wearing socks, and the floor is carpet. Does this expel this idea?

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
Try sitting without socks on, the fabric can always be a cause, you also say it doesn't happen when your wife sits down in the same place. Meaning that it is something you either have on or are doing that is causing it.

Tough to say.
I deal quite a bit with things like this....and this is a strange one.
But as I said...I would check the outlet's ground....and the case's ground.
This....to me...from things I've seen in the past....looks like it could be caused by an ungrounded case. This is what I think is most likely.

arch_angel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
So I found out something interesting I wanted to share. It fixed this problem! I found that if the glass panel of the computer case faces away from me, the problem goes away. So the metal back part of the case is facing me now, and maybe that is shielding the pc from the static charge somehow? Anyway, spent hours trying out everything so hopefully this will help someone else having the same problem..

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
So I found out something interesting I wanted to share. It fixed this problem! I found that if the glass panel of the computer case faces away from me, the problem goes away. So the metal back part of the case is facing me now, and maybe that is shielding the pc from the static charge somehow? Anyway, spent hours trying out everything so hopefully this will help someone else having the same problem..
Seems like the glass panel’s screws or latch is transmitting a static charge, maybe try taking the glass panel off and seeing how you go, but if its fixed for now, well done man

Reactions: arch_angel

arch_angel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Guess what... it is still happening! But, I have found a permanent fix (fingers crossed hopefully, it's working for now). I have tried everything under the sun, so I thought I'll try my other pc case lying around as a last resort. It worked! It's not happening anymore. How crazy is this? I just don't know why.

The difference between the two case is, one has a glass panel and metal outer frame, and the other plastic and also plastic outer frame (the one that fixed the issue).

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
Guess what... it is still happening! But, I have found a permanent fix (fingers crossed hopefully, it's working for now). I have tried everything under the sun, so I thought I'll try my other pc case lying around as a last resort. It worked! It's not happening anymore. How crazy is this? I just don't know why.

The difference between the two case is, one has a glass panel and metal outer frame, and the other plastic and also plastic outer frame (the one that fixed the issue).
Good to hear, due to the fact plastic can't carry a charge, your metal case must have been shorting out somehow, maybe a bad standoff on your motherboard to your metal case.