Very Warm SpeedStream 2624 Router?

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Do most of the inexpensive home routers stay very warm even when idle?

I just tried a wireless SpeedStream 2624 with the latest firmware and the bottom left (as
you look at it)always stays very warm to the touch, even while elevated with about 1 inch of
clearance to improve ventilation.

I can hold my fingers on that spot continuously .... but just barely, so the surface
temperature there must be getting close to 130F. There are no bottom vent holes (only some
on the top at the right side).

I called SpeedStream Tech support and they said it's normal, especially since it's working
okay "currently."

Maybe the high temperature is part of it's designed "planned obsolescence" just after the
warranty expires in a year or so?

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Is the power supply built into the router on that model? Perhaps they are
using the case as a heat sink?

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

No, it is a separate Power Supply .... BTW when I stand it on end it operates much cooler,
so I think I'll probably keep it like that. Thanks.

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 14:55:21 GMT, "Ron Steel" <rsteel_nospam@excite.com>
wrote:

>Do most of the inexpensive home routers stay very warm even when idle?
>
>I just tried a wireless SpeedStream 2624 with the latest firmware and the bottom left (as
>you look at it)always stays very warm to the touch, even while elevated with about 1 inch of
>clearance to improve ventilation.
>
>I can hold my fingers on that spot continuously .... but just barely, so the surface
>temperature there must be getting close to 130F. There are no bottom vent holes (only some
>on the top at the right side).
>
>I called SpeedStream Tech support and they said it's normal, especially since it's working
>okay "currently."
>
>Maybe the high temperature is part of it's designed "planned obsolescence" just after the
>warranty expires in a year or so?

Considering how cheap soho network appliances are to purchase, that heat is
probably coming from a (very inexpensively implemented) linear voltage
regulator. I wouldn't be too concerned as long as there's free air circulating
the case...

/daytripper (ie: don't wrap it in a blanket ;-)

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

I also forgot to mention that it does however have a built-in parallel printer port, so
maybe with all the wireless, router and printer port internal components it's just got to
run warmer than most?

"Bingo Fool" <noaddress@noaddress.com> wrote in message

> No, it is a separate Power Supply .... BTW when I stand it on end it operates much cooler,
> so I think I'll probably keep it like that. Thanks.
>
> "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
> > Is the power supply built into the router on that model? Perhaps they are
> > using the case as a heat sink?

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Have a router that I was fooling with last night..
had it sitting on the floor crossover connected to a laptop and nothing
plugged in... it was nearly cool to the touch.
Any other time I touch it when things are actually plugged in I always worry
that it's running too hot.
Internally it has a PC Card w/antenna jack plus the 4ports, 2usb ports very
minimal circuitry and what looks like a cpu with quite a large heat sink.
You can even smell that new electronic pc board heat odor when its busy.
Uncomfortable to touch the bottom of it. Vents all around and on top.

> I also forgot to mention that it does however have a built-in parallel
printer port, so
> maybe with all the wireless, router and printer port internal components
it's just got to
> run warmer than most?
>
> "Bingo Fool" <noaddress@noaddress.com> wrote in message
>
> > No, it is a separate Power Supply .... BTW when I stand it on end it
operates much cooler,
> > so I think I'll probably keep it like that. Thanks.
> >
> > "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
> > > Is the power supply built into the router on that model? Perhaps they
are
> > > using the case as a heat sink?

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

I found that my SpeedStream 2624 becomes much, much cooler to the touch when mounted
vertically. There are vent holes on one side and also vent holes on the top (at the other
end) and so I get natural convection thru the case from the bottom up and out the top when
mounted vertically.

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message
> Have a router that I was fooling with last night..
> had it sitting on the floor crossover connected to a laptop and nothing
> plugged in... it was nearly cool to the touch.
> Any other time I touch it when things are actually plugged in I always worry
> that it's running too hot.
> Internally it has a PC Card w/antenna jack plus the 4ports, 2usb ports very
> minimal circuitry and what looks like a cpu with quite a large heat sink.
> You can even smell that new electronic pc board heat odor when its busy.
> Uncomfortable to touch the bottom of it. Vents all around and on top.
>
> "Bingo Fool" <noaddress@noaddress.com> wrote in message
> > I also forgot to mention that it does however have a built-in parallel
> printer port, so
> > maybe with all the wireless, router and printer port internal components
> it's just got to
> > run warmer than most?
> >
> > "Bingo Fool" <noaddress@noaddress.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > No, it is a separate Power Supply .... BTW when I stand it on end it
> operates much cooler,
> > > so I think I'll probably keep it like that. Thanks.
> > >
> > > "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
> are

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 14:55:21 GMT, "Ron Steel"
<rsteel_nospam@excite.com> wrote:

>Do most of the inexpensive home routers stay very warm even when idle?
>
>I just tried a wireless SpeedStream 2624 with the latest firmware and the bottom left (as
>you look at it)always stays very warm to the touch, even while elevated with about 1 inch of
>clearance to improve ventilation.

I can confirm the high temp operation of that router. I was a bit
surprised that the case didn't melt or warp over the CPU. I took the
PCMCIA card out of mine to use in my laptop and run the 2624 as a
wired router, but it still runs hot.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

And they did a damn good job of designing the obsolescence; my 2624 took
a dump almost a year to the day after my purchase.

Doug