Very weird hdd/usb/power/? problem

sharksmile

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I'm recently having very weird hard drive/usb drive/power/? problem. I noticed this problem when I was copying some files from HDD to USB. I noticed that file transfer rate gradually decreased and file transfer stopped between files (USB drive used NTFS file system and the problem persists in all NTFS usb storage devices, FAT32 one are slow but fine, i guess). And then I noticed that file transfer rates gradually decreased in HDD also (I use one 1.5 tb SATA 2 HDD and one 300 gb SATA hdd). I formatted one partition of my sata 2 HDD, reinstalled Windows with a fress install and unplugged the sata 1 hdd and the problem persists. As of right now my transfer rates:
SATA 2 Drive:
Copying 7 gb file from one Partition to Same Partition:
Starts off at 150 mb/s, gradually decreases to 33,34 mb/s.
Copying 7 gb file From one partition to another partition:
Starts off at 120 mb/s, gradually decreases to 30,31 mb/s.

SATA 1 Drive:
Copying 7 gb file from one Partition to Same Partition:
Starts off at 100 mb/s, gradually decreases to 14,4 mb/s.

Copying 7 gb file from SATA 2 to SATA 1 Drive:
Starts off at 150 mb/s, gradually decreases to 45,8 mb/s (i tried it again and it decreased to 34,4 mb/s).

Copying 7 gb file from SATA 1 to SATA 2 Drive:
starts off at 40 mb/s, gradually decreases to 24,5 mb/s.

I tried HD tune pro and some errors came up:
1.5 TB SATA 2 HDD:
Reallocated Sector Count: Data:23

Spin Retry Count: Data: 2

300 GB SATA (1) HDD:
Current Pending Sector: Data: 4
Ultra DMA CRC Error Count: 1

I tried switching AHCI and IDE modes back and forth (reinstalling OS everytime) without any difference in performance.
USB to any HDD transfer is fine with about 34 mb/s.

By the way, my computer switched itself off while watching a movie one time recently (like a PSU error). Maybe this happened after it? I don't know.

Computer is virus free but it is irrelevant as i installed another OS. But it is virus free as i checked with various antivirus scanners.

What the hell is going on?

greylion

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
A drive really shouldn't have any reallocated sectors. Your 1.5TB drive is most likely dying.

The pending sectors on your 300GB drive means it needs to be tested.
It might or might not be going bad.
A long test of it should determine which it is.
I suggest you download UBCD, burn it to a CD-R(W), and test the drive(s) with the manufacturers diagnostic software.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Better get any data on the 1.5TB moved to another drive, and run the long test on it too, to get an error code.
Depending on age, either RMA it to where you bought it, or check the manufacturers website for info on how to RMA it.

sharksmile

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I tested the drives with SeaTools but nothing came up (It said the drives are OK, tried long and short generic tests). But i will try it with the ultimate boot CD. I know where to RMA the drive, but first i should be sure. What about the USB transfer problem?

Thanks!!!

sharksmile

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

Long test on 300 gb found something like 26 errors at %1 and I repaired them, but I didn't run full test on it yet (I aborted after the errors) as 1.5 TB is my primary concern.

Long test on 1.5 Tb didn't found any errors but it hang at %82 and little green text with command line came on screen. Now i'm trying to full erase the drive, im at work and it's full erasing the drive at home. I'll post the results here after the full erase. Thanks for any insight about the situation.

copnas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hi sharksmile,
I realy don't to criticize seatools since it's it's great prog but sometimes it fails to find certain errors inside the drive.
I am working with lots of seagate hdd's and often seatools doesn't detect errors.
I strongly recomend you to use a trial version of Hard Disk Sentinel.
It will tell you everything about your hdd.
Note Hard Disk Sentinel is only Diagnostic it will not provide you with any repair util's.