Mister_Meeseeks

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Okay so here are the basic specs on the system (that matter)when it was working flawlessly:

AsRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard
Ryzen 7 2700x (Pinnacle Ridge - this is important to note)
Corsair Dominator RAM (compatible with the motherboard, I checked QVL list before purchasing)

I just purchased the Ryzen 5 3600 cause the price was too good to pass up and got it today. Did the install and now this is happening:

1 - Upgraded from 2700x to 3600 - got everything in and turned it on, got into BIOS and everything is there and recognized - go to boot into windows and it just spins.

2 - As per the AsRock BIOS list the BIOS 2.5 is highest for any ridge under Matisse. I updated BIOS to 2.9 as the 3600 is Matisse and the AsRock website says that 2.9 is the latest supported for that.

3 - I am able to get into BIOS and everything is there, but as soon as I try to get to windows it gets stuck at the loading screen and continuously spins, never making it to the Windows screen still. Every once in a while I get a blue screen error of "A required device isn't connected or cannot be accessed."

3 - After trying three times I was able to get to windows ONE time - everything was working fine and then I noticed that MSI Afterburner wasn't able to give me CPU temps, but I could get CPU load and usage? So I restarted the computer and now I am back to the spinning and cannot get to Windows again. Also getting a blue screen with the same error on it occasionally

4 - It is not detecting my Razer wireless keyboard/mouse because I cannot hit F2 to get into BIOS, but if I plug in my secondary keyboard/mouse that are wired I can use them just fine.

5 - Took PC back apart and checked for bent pins or broken pieces - everything is perfect and there is no visual indication that something physical is wrong with CPU

Not one other component was changed or even removed or bumped while switching CPU's - didn't even have to unplug the AIO cooler fan plugs from the mobo

Any other ideas? I'm running out......

Okay so here are the basic specs on the system (that matter)when it was working flawlessly:

AsRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard
Ryzen 7 2700x (Pinnacle Ridge - this is important to note)
Corsair Dominator RAM (compatible with the motherboard, I checked QVL list before purchasing)

I just purchased the Ryzen 5 3600 cause the price was too good to pass up and got it today. Did the install and now this is happening:

1 - Upgraded from 2700x to 3600 - got everything in and turned it on, got into BIOS and everything is there and recognized - go to boot into windows and it just spins.

2 - As per the AsRock BIOS list the BIOS 2.5 is highest for any ridge under Matisse. I updated BIOS to 2.9 as the 3600 is Matisse and the AsRock website says that 2.9 is the latest supported for that.

3 - I am able to get into BIOS and everything is there, but as soon as I try to get to windows it gets stuck at the loading screen and continuously spins, never making it to the Windows screen still. Every once in a while I get a blue screen error of "A required device isn't connected or cannot be accessed."

3 - After trying three times I was able to get to windows ONE time - everything was working fine and then I noticed that MSI Afterburner wasn't able to give me CPU temps, but I could get CPU load and usage? So I restarted the computer and now I am back to the spinning and cannot get to Windows again. Also getting a blue screen with the same error on it occasionally

4 - It is not detecting my Razer wireless keyboard/mouse because I cannot hit F2 to get into BIOS, but if I plug in my secondary keyboard/mouse that are wired I can use them just fine.

5 - Took PC back apart and checked for bent pins or broken pieces - everything is perfect and there is no visual indication that something physical is wrong with CPU

Not one other component was changed or even removed or bumped while switching CPU's - didn't even have to unplug the AIO cooler fan plugs from the mobo

Any other ideas? I'm running out......
Check your SATA Power and Data cables if using a SATA HDD or SSD.

Mister_Meeseeks

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Well, I just noticed something and feel like a dummy............

After triple checking everything I decided to once again take a look at the memory QVL and the lists for Pinnacle Ridge and Matisse are different for this board. Basically nothing is supported and my current RAM most certainly isn't like I thought it was. So that could potentially be my issue......very frustrating.

I am going to reflash BIOS back to 2.5 and re-install the 2700x to see what happens - will post back so anyone who runs into this issue and/or thread can see the results and hopefully it will help them in the future

Well, I just noticed something and feel like a dummy............

After triple checking everything I decided to once again take a look at the memory QVL and the lists for Pinnacle Ridge and Matisse are different for this board. Basically nothing is supported and my current RAM most certainly isn't like I thought it was. So that could potentially be my issue......very frustrating.

I am going to reflash BIOS back to 2.5 and re-install the 2700x to see what happens - will post back so anyone who runs into this issue and/or thread can see the results and hopefully it will help them in the future
Before you reflash, put the 2700X back in. The bios notes say 2.90 is not recommended for Pinnacle Ridge, but it should work fine assuming you didn't damage the motherboard with static discharge.

Mister_Meeseeks

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Before you reflash, put the 2700X back in. The bios notes say 2.90 is not recommended for Pinnacle Ridge, but it should work fine assuming you didn't damage the motherboard with static discharge.

There's some definite f**kery afoot here....

While typing my response the PC booted into windows. I have been on it for about 5 minutes and running programs and updates and it works as it should. I'm even running 3D Mark just to see what happens.

I think my issue has nothing to do with my PC and everything to do with the new windows update. I remembered reading a few days ago about user experiencing horrifically long boot times due to a new windows update. I am almost positive I am plagued by this. I'm going to be looking into fixes and reporting back my findings. 3D Mark ran perfectly fine and everything is working great.

*EDIT *
I found something talking about windows load times and followed steps. Load time is unaffected as it still sits and spins for what seems like ages. Eventually, it will boot to the windows screen but it usually takes about 10 minutes. Tried disabling the fast boot option that most things talk about being an issue as well but that had no effect.

I'm going to reinstall the 2700x and see what happens

Last edited:

Mister_Meeseeks

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Well - I have no idea what happened or why but the only thing that solved it was a complete Windows Reinstallation.

I am honestly very upset as I lost everything on my C drive and I have no understanding as to why this was needed after just a CPU upgrade. I have windows booting perfectly, everything is running smoothly and I will now spend the next couple hours setting everything back up the way I had it.

I spent just over 4 hours trying to figure it out and did literally everything imaginable to no avail...

So for anyone reading this - if you have done it all it would appear that a Windows reinstall is in your immediate future and you should plan accordingly