[SOLVED] Very weird situation with my computer

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
Hi!

So I had this Maximus IX Hero motherboard. It had some issues with DIMM slots that i actually posted about earlier, only B1 and B2 dimms worked and if a ram stick was in either A1 or A2 my pc would not post. I RMAd that motherboard last week and got email back from them couple days ago, that it had one cpu PIN bent and transistor burnt above dimms, so i thought that okay didnt spot that one. I checked pins before i sent it back but didnt even check for any transistors, i didnt see any bent pins but i thought that the transistor explain why my dimms wont work.

So yesterday I went and bought new motherboard from someone (its used becourse theres no Z270 MBs on sale anymore atleast not here in Finland) it was MSI M6 AC, it looked fine and i dont think theres any problems with it. So I started to build my pc back together, i have custom waterloop cooling for my CPU with hardtubing so i spent quite a few hours for that, today i booted my pc for the first time and didnt get anything on screen, my motherboards onboard POST leds indicated the same thing as my old one, RAM-CPU-RAM allthe time, well i thought F*** man, not again.

How could it be, why, how ? I took my rams off one at a time and rebooted, my finally booted when i only had one stick in slot B2. Yeah, and thats not even the worst part. After it booted i got the standard "repairing disc" windows thing. I thought thats odd since even tho i had my components laying around on my table for better part of the week but nothing was damaged and they were just laying.

Ok so I got to bios and noticed that my boot priority was set on my other SSD drive first and my actual windows disc was like the last one. So I changed my M.2 SSD for the first priority and booted again, I got this weird green colored text something about Killdisk (Ill post picture below) that i had never seen before. I could do nothing with this disc on priority one, so i changed it back for the disc that didnt even have windows but atleast my pc tried to repair it or something so i got to the windows settings and tried to recover from old point, didnt work.

After that I had to go so I couldnt do anymore testing and see whats broken but I really dont want to takeapart my waterloop since its so frustraiting to but back together. Could my ram be the issue ? Would they have to replace my both motherboards ? It looks fine right ? Am I doing something terribly wrong ? Could my PSU be the issue ? Ill post full system specs below!

PC SPECS:

MB: MSI M6 AC (before i had Asus maximus IX hero)
CPU: i7-7700K
RAM: Trident Z RGB 3466 CL16 32GB 4x8gb
GPU: Asus Geforce 1080 strix A OC
PSU: Evga supernova G2 750W
SSD with windows: M.2 Samsung 960 EVO 250GB
Other SSD: Toshiba 250GB
I also have 2 HDDs dont remember make and model.

Solution
Alright so i found out that in mb settings there were some sort of setting about windows 7 and 10 and it was enabled for windows 7. I enabled windows 10 and the killdisk thing went gone but still didnt boot but started to "repair disc" now i am resetting my pc if it will work.
You can use KillDisk to load with your computer. If you didn't have the software, it's possible the previous owner did. More info here:
https://www.killdisk.com/bootdisk-faq.htm

The memory controller is on the CPU, not the motherboard. So if both boards are not reading RAM in channel 1, it could be a CPU issue (rare, but possible).

Once your motherboard comes back, I would recommend testing with an air cooler, like the Intel stock cooler. Once you verify things are working correctly, you can put the water look back in.

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
1. You can use KillDisk to load with your computer. If you didn't have the software, it's possible the previous owner did. More info here:
https://www.killdisk.com/bootdisk-faq.htm

1. The memory controller is on the CPU, not the motherboard. So if both boards are not reading RAM in channel 1, it could be a CPU issue (rare, but possible).
  2. Once your motherboard comes back, I would recommend testing with an air cooler, like the Intel stock cooler. Once you verify things are working correctly, you can put the water look back in.
Alright. I dont think i ever had killdisk, can i uninstaöö it from somewhere or do i have to use it now.

My previous board was reading in B1 and B2 but this one only seems to read from B2. I thought about it being cpu issue but once they said that my mb had transistor burnt i was certain that was the issue.

I dont have any other cooler, didnt get one with cpu. I could ask if one of my friends can borrow so i dont have to mess with water all the time.

I wont be using my old mb anymore probably atleast until i get my pc working with this one. Since that one is faulty already from transistor and they said that it voids warranty.

And based on what you said, about it only reading from one channel, in addition to having the killdisk software, I would try to return that board. Sorry I missed the part about only one channel working now. Definitely doesn't sound like a good board to have, even if your CPU has outstanding issues.

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
I had same problem with my old board. Soi thought what are the chances to get 2 motherboards with broken channels. Could my ram be the thing that destroys my motherboard?

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
Alright so i found out that in mb settings there were some sort of setting about windows 7 and 10 and it was enabled for windows 7. I enabled windows 10 and the killdisk thing went gone but still didnt boot but started to "repair disc" now i am resetting my pc if it will work.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS