Question Very worried about fishy things about my prebuilt pc

May 15, 2019
Hiya guys so I got a pc from overclockers and spent a considerable sum of money on it. There are a few things that worry me about it so I wasn't sure where to post this.

Firstly using MSI afterburner i notice that the cpu tends to get very hot playing games that it should have 0 trouble with even on the lowest settings. MY cpu is a ryzen 7 2700x and playing total warhammer 2 my cpu tends to slowly climb temperature wise until its in the high 70s climbing a few degrees at a time. What also worries me is the way it seems to climb 10 degrees and then count back to around the same temperature and then jump 10 degrees again.

Another worry i have with it is that i recently dowloaded hw monitor and one little specific reading really made me panic. I don't seem to be able to share the image (im a complete noob with this) but hardware monitor is saying that my max vddc vr temperature is at 1487 degrees i don't really know what that means but that seems really drastic and dangerous and im panicking a little. (im a complete noob with computers) some other little things about my pc that strike me as off is that when i first connect the hdmi after taking it out i get the windows screen but with tones of loud static. Im seriously worried about the health of my pc and would appreciate any advice. I tried linking an image by uploading it to imgur (usually how i do it on forums) but that did not seem to work.

PS: something that also strikes me as odd is that the voltage on my cores seems to be ever so slightly different and fluctuates quite a bit. i am aware this might be speed step in effect though.

PSS: I restarted hw monitor and it is normal now im not sure whether it was a glich or if it really was that hot.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019
I cannot seem to post any pictures on here it just gives me an error but my pc is an amd ryzen 7 2700 x with 16 gb of ram and a rx vega 56 pulse gpu. I had to send it away to get rma'd once since the cpu apparently got jolted in transit and knocked out as there was an error with outputting to my monitor and when I got it back one of the Ram sticks was knocked out. im debating on just asking for a refund next time I have to send it back.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Your temps and voltages will change as demand on the CPU changes. For instance when you are in a busy environment in game with a lot going on vs just static areas or nothing much going on. I would suggest that if you are on the stock fan you might consider upgrading that.
I wouldn't be concerned about the strange reading in HWM. It's not uncommon for various monitoring programs to show strange readings depending on the mobo type, etc. I have found core temp to be a good program to use for AMD.

May 15, 2019
Your temps and voltages will change as demand on the CPU changes. For instance when you are in a busy environment in game with a lot going on vs just static areas or nothing much going on. I would suggest that if you are on the stock fan you might consider upgrading that.
I wouldn't be concerned about the strange reading in HWM. It's not uncommon for various monitoring programs to show strange readings depending on the mobo type, etc. I have found core temp to be a good program to use for AMD.
even if the reading was in the 1000's of degrees? sorry if I sound a bit paranoid but to boot it up and see that I almost had a heart attack lol I have all sorts on here and it all seems to tell me different stuff quite frankly im terrible with computers but I have cpu-z on here as well as ryzen master (my system is overclocked from stock) and afterburner also hw monitor. is there any program you know of that can give me a more detailed overlay than msi over what I am doing?

May 15, 2019
^especially not if it's in the thousands of degrees. Something would be on fire, or shut down.
I suppose that is true I can't see a puddle of burned metal in my pc haha I suppose freak stuff is exactly that thank you punkncat can I ask if you have any experience using AMD and ryzen master while you are here I know it is unrelated to my original topic but to be honest I have always been an intel guy (I had an Alienware that was amazing at working for about 5 years).

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
My current system is Ryzen. Ryzen Master is a good tool to use to find out where your CPU will stay happy, but is best to use that as a loose guide to where to OC in your mobo BIOS. I am not particularly good with "deep" OC questions. Where I have exceptional luck doing so with my 1700 in the winter, once it got warm due to some circulation issues here in the office I turn it back to stock for both stability as well as comfort in the room.