News VESA DisplayPort 2.1 Tightens Alignment With USB Type-C and USB4

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
If I understand it correctly, does the DisplayPort 1.4 on RTX 4090 mean that it is somewhat limited on what type of screen setups it can run "properly"? Like when one would want to run two 4K screens at 144 Hz (not necessarily for gaming), would the whole setup simply get bottle-necked due to the DisplayPort 1.4 ?

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Yeah, that is my understanding too.

Not that it would matter to most users, with each the HDMI 2.1 standard and DisplayPort 1.4 apparently supporting 4K at 120 Hz and 8K at 60 Hz - which is what most gamers won't have a rig for these days. I was just wondering whether the RTX 4090 is good enough if someone is looking for a work display setup, which goes beyond such frame rates. And apparently it isn't good enough, simply because of the DisplayPort 1.4 issue, where there is no support for more than 120 Hz at 4K, etc.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah, that is my understanding too.

Not that it would matter to most users, with each the HDMI 2.1 standard and DisplayPort 1.4 apparently supporting 4K at 120 Hz and 8K at 60 Hz - which is what most gamers won't have a rig for these days. I was just wondering whether the RTX 4090 is good enough if someone is looking for a work display setup, which goes beyond such frame rates. And apparently it isn't good enough, simply because of the DisplayPort 1.4 issue, where there is no support for more than 120 Hz at 4K, etc.
Why would someone who isn't at Industrial Light and Megic (ILM) need 4k beyond 120hz? What work environment are you referring to?

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Why would someone who isn't at Industrial Light and Megic (ILM) need 4k beyond 120hz? What work environment are you referring to?

Certainly not a "wide" range of jobs there. But i.e. an architect working with 3D models may want to have as high a refresh rate as possible. And e.g. an emergency responder control center may want to run in the near future an 8K screen with a real-time map on it, and they may prefer above currently available 60 Hz at 8K, if screens will support that soon.

In any case, e.g. the 32-inch Odyssey Neo G8 display exists, with 4K and 240Hz refresh rate. And if someone has a reason to get that, enthusiast or for whichever professional reason, then the RTX 4090 wouldn't be good enough to fully support that with the DisplayPort 1.4, would it?

Reactions: thestryker
Certainly not a "wide" range of jobs there. But i.e. an architect working with 3D models may want to have as high a refresh rate as possible. And e.g. an emergency responder control center may want to run in the near future an 8K screen with a real-time map on it, and they may prefer above currently available 60 Hz at 8K, if screens will support that soon.

In any case, e.g. the 32-inch Odyssey Neo G8 display exists, with 4K and 240Hz refresh rate. And if someone has a reason to get that, enthusiast or for whichever professional reason, then the RTX 4090 wouldn't be good enough to fully support that with the DisplayPort 1.4, would it?
That's correct, and in fact HDMI 2.1 can't handle it either only DP 2.0+ can without compression.