Vfat error kinda long

Win 98 SE 256mb PIII 1 gb. 80gb drive partitioned C:, D: and E:
I'm getting a Vfat error when booting and shutting down. I have to
use the reset button when the error appears.
I can get into Safe Mode
I have run Scandisk every time with no errors. The first time there
was a lost cluster that was fixed.
I ran a surface scan beyond the file area with no bad clusters.
Ran Defrag
Fast shutdown is disabled.
I have disabled almost everything in the Startup in MSconfig.
Trying Bootlog from Boot menu but it ends when Scandisk starts. I'm
going to try to work around that by temporarily disabling Scandisk.
When booting it finishes loading the desktop icons and the volume
control and clock in the systray and appears ready to go but it's
frozen.
After running Scandisk and going into Safe mode a few times it will
eventually load normal mode ok. But then the error appears when
shutting down and I go through it all again.
I installed Windows into a different folder and when I boot with
that all is ok. I'm using it now.

I have a recent backup before this problem on a second drive and am
considering formatting drive 1 and copying drive 2 over. I have MAX
Blast 3 that I've used from real dos to do partition copies but I
tested it and it doesn't see the partitions on drive 2 (source)
which is a Western Digital drive.

I have searched and found vfat articles and there are many but don't
seem to apply to this, mostly with programs I don't have or use.

I would do an over-install but not as long as the problem exists.
Using a clean install would take at least a week to re-install the
software and devices.

Sorry this is so long but I felt the info was needed.

Any ideas appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

There have been two different threads about this in the last two months,
possibly maybe hopefully one of them has some info for you Bill. The first
post was was back on June2 and this person did use the 2 replies of info
given to solve the
problem. This is just the header info so you can find the rest of the
posts to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also again at the begining of August there was another post with lots of
threads to it but I'm not sure if that was ever resolved yet? Anyway,
here's that begining headers info to help you find it:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Win 98 SE 256mb PIII 1 gb. 80gb drive partitioned C:, D: and E:
> I'm getting a Vfat error when booting and shutting down. I have to
> use the reset button when the error appears.
> I can get into Safe Mode
> I have run Scandisk every time with no errors. The first time there
> was a lost cluster that was fixed.
> I ran a surface scan beyond the file area with no bad clusters.
> Ran Defrag
> Fast shutdown is disabled.
> I have disabled almost everything in the Startup in MSconfig.
> Trying Bootlog from Boot menu but it ends when Scandisk starts. I'm
> going to try to work around that by temporarily disabling Scandisk.
> When booting it finishes loading the desktop icons and the volume
> control and clock in the systray and appears ready to go but it's
> frozen.
> After running Scandisk and going into Safe mode a few times it will
> eventually load normal mode ok. But then the error appears when
> shutting down and I go through it all again.
> I installed Windows into a different folder and when I boot with
> that all is ok. I'm using it now.
>
> I have a recent backup before this problem on a second drive and am
> considering formatting drive 1 and copying drive 2 over. I have MAX
> Blast 3 that I've used from real dos to do partition copies but I
> tested it and it doesn't see the partitions on drive 2 (source)
> which is a Western Digital drive.
>
> I have searched and found vfat articles and there are many but don't
> seem to apply to this, mostly with programs I don't have or use.
>
> I would do an over-install but not as long as the problem exists.
> Using a clean install would take at least a week to re-install the
> software and devices.
>
> Sorry this is so long but I felt the info was needed.
>
> Any ideas appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Watt
> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Thanks Rick,

However, neither of the threads have any solutions I don't have
setup already. I should have included the error message. That should
have been first!!
Fatal exception OE in VXD Vfat (01). System halted. Wait or restart.

Bill
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:48:35 -0400, "Rick Chauvin"
<justask@nospamz.com> wrote:

>There have been two different threads about this in the last two months,
>possibly maybe hopefully one of them has some info for you Bill. The first
>post was was back on June2 and this person did use the 2 replies of info
>given to solve the
>problem. This is just the header info so you can find the rest of the
>posts to it.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bill, You might want to try copying the vmm32.vxd from the parallel
install over to the original \windows\system folder. VFAT.VXD is inside
the monolithic driver file; vmm32.vxd. Perhaps the file has a small
corruption in it. They should be identical, but I'd rename the old
one just in case.

This doesn't match your error message, but you might check it out
for clues.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139063

"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message news:asl4h19ks3huf7c0bhm4h2vnorukob2bqr@4ax.com...

> Thanks Rick,
>
> However, neither of the threads have any solutions I don't have
> setup already. I should have included the error message. That should
> have been first!!
> Fatal exception OE in VXD Vfat (01). System halted. Wait or restart.
>
> Bill
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:48:35 -0400, "Rick Chauvin"
> <justask@nospamz.com> wrote:
>
>>There have been two different threads about this in the last two months,
>>possibly maybe hopefully one of them has some info for you Bill. The first
>>post was was back on June2 and this person did use the 2 replies of info
>>given to solve the
>>problem. This is just the header info so you can find the rest of the
>>posts to it.
>>
>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:39:40 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
<bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

>Bill, You might want to try copying the vmm32.vxd from the parallel
>install over to the original \windows\system folder. VFAT.VXD is inside
>the monolithic driver file; vmm32.vxd. Perhaps the file has a small
>corruption in it. They should be identical, but I'd rename the old
>one just in case.
>
>This doesn't match your error message, but you might check it out
>for clues.
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139063

Thanks Bill,

None of the cures in the article apply, I've had Ifshlp Remmed since
Win95.

I tried replacing vmm32.vxd with the one in the new installation as
you suggested but it came up with a missing vmm32.vxd file at boot.
They are slightly different. It booted anyway after the error msg.

The only other error I get is;
Fatal Exception OE at (address) in VXD WDMAUD (07).
I got this message before but it's an audio file so I uninstalled
WMP or whatever it was. No error for awhile but now it takes turns
with the VFAT error. Both freeze the system. These came up suddenly
and I had not made any changes or installs.

After using reset and Scandisk once or twice Windows loads ok.

If I had a real dos disk copy utility I'd restore my backup. I used
MaxBlast 3 before but it doesn't seem to see the logical partitions
on the backup drive this time. I may try just restoring the Windows
folder from the backup after renaming the two I have.

The bootlog.txt file doesn't seem to indicate any errors near the
end and terminates ok.

Thanks again for your efforts.

"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message news:lpb7h11f7mea3ng9dg9vat48ndoa01cnpe@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:39:40 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
> <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:
>
>>Bill, You might want to try copying the vmm32.vxd from the parallel
>>install over to the original \windows\system folder. VFAT.VXD is inside
>>the monolithic driver file; vmm32.vxd. Perhaps the file has a small
>>corruption in it. They should be identical, but I'd rename the old
>>one just in case.
>>

> I tried replacing vmm32.vxd with the one in the new installation as
> you suggested but it came up with a missing vmm32.vxd file at boot.
> They are slightly different. It booted anyway after the error msg.

Hm. That's strange.. it shouldn't report it missing.

> The only other error I get is;
> Fatal Exception OE at (address) in VXD WDMAUD (07).
> I got this message before but it's an audio file so I uninstalled
> WMP or whatever it was. No error for awhile but now it takes turns
> with the VFAT error. Both freeze the system. These came up suddenly
> and I had not made any changes or installs.
>
> After using reset and Scandisk once or twice Windows loads ok.
>
> If I had a real dos disk copy utility I'd restore my backup. I used
> MaxBlast 3 before but it doesn't seem to see the logical partitions
> on the backup drive this time.

If the backup is a simple clone you might try bootitNG. Put it on a floppy,
boot, "cancel" the install and you'll be in maintenance mode where you
can delete and copy volumes/partitions.

> I may try just restoring the Windows
> folder from the backup after renaming the two I have.
>
> The bootlog.txt file doesn't seem to indicate any errors near the
> end and terminates ok.
>
> Thanks again for your efforts.

You're welcome, let us know what happens..

Hi Bill Watt, as Bill Blanton said please let us know how you make out. I
know from your previous participation in these groups and from your website
shows that you have the ability and knowledge to get out of this. Is this
one of your customers computers or yours? If it's yours and as the tech
you are don't you have a previous saved log of tracking from whatever
uninstaller tracker that you use so that in situations like this you can
just do a compare and browse its GUI of all the actual windows files &
registry changes that took place, and then easily deduct from that exactly
what happened, and then easily reverse it and/or use your favorite
partition imager to get previous good files from if needed ..or for a
last resort using that partition imager can't you just restore a previous
saved partition image back in place which only takes a few minutes?

For instance one of the best file/registry tracker programs there is (I use
an older version) of Ashampoo, and although they tout it as an uninstaller,
http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/products/php/product.php?session_langid=2&idstring=0103
..for me the only functions I use (ignoring it's other fluff) on it is
specifically just the exceptional GUI layout of the monitoring and compare
functions which give you a total and complete full view in a familiar
Windows GUI environment of every mi-nute thing that goes on - and so like
in a situation like you have now you could just do a compare after the
anomaly happened and observe the changes that caused it, and then easily
(and even fun) to deduct the simple resolve and reverse it.

Also for Partition Imagers, I know most of the MVP's here like to use
BootitNG which is fine although admittedly more complicated to learn, and
it's not an all in one program, where in contrast using a program
like TueImage http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
which is by far the easiest and most comprehensive one I've ever used ..and
I've used them all. My second choice was the older version of DriveImage
before Symantec got a hold of it.. Anyway I'm not affiliated with these
companies I mention in this post but am just talking about what my
experience is with them and use them constantly on a Daily basis.

Rick

Bill Blanton wrote:
> "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:39:40 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
>> <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Bill, You might want to try copying the vmm32.vxd from the parallel
>>>install over to the original \windows\system folder. VFAT.VXD is inside
>>>the monolithic driver file; vmm32.vxd. Perhaps the file has a small
>>>corruption in it. They should be identical, but I'd rename the old
>>>one just in case.
>>>

>> I tried replacing vmm32.vxd with the one in the new installation as
>> you suggested but it came up with a missing vmm32.vxd file at boot.
>> They are slightly different. It booted anyway after the error msg.
>
> Hm. That's strange.. it shouldn't report it missing.
>

>> The only other error I get is;
>> Fatal Exception OE at (address) in VXD WDMAUD (07).
>> I got this message before but it's an audio file so I uninstalled
>> WMP or whatever it was. No error for awhile but now it takes turns
>> with the VFAT error. Both freeze the system. These came up suddenly
>> and I had not made any changes or installs.
>>
>> After using reset and Scandisk once or twice Windows loads ok.
>>
>> If I had a real dos disk copy utility I'd restore my backup. I used
>> MaxBlast 3 before but it doesn't seem to see the logical partitions
>> on the backup drive this time.
>
> If the backup is a simple clone you might try bootitNG. Put it on a
> floppy,
> boot, "cancel" the install and you'll be in maintenance mode where you
> can delete and copy volumes/partitions.
>

>> I may try just restoring the Windows
>> folder from the backup after renaming the two I have.
>>
>> The bootlog.txt file doesn't seem to indicate any errors near the
>> end and terminates ok.
>>
>> Thanks again for your efforts.
>
> You're welcome, let us know what happens..

| However, neither of the threads have any solutions I don't have
| setup already.

In the VFAT thread, the real solution to Danny's problem was to REM the
EMM386 line in Config.sys. You tried that or disabled Config.sys
altogether? You never get the error booting to Safe Mode, when
Config.sys doesn't run at all?

| I tried replacing vmm32.vxd with the one in the new installation as
| you suggested but it came up with a missing vmm32.vxd file at boot.

That doesn't make sense. Let us see...

C:\>dir /a /s C:vmm32.vxd
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
VMM32 VXD 941,094 07-22-99 12:21a VMM32.VXD
1 file(s) 941,094 bytes

C:\>dir /ad /s C:\VMM32
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
VMM32 <DIR> 07-22-99 12:16a VMM32

You may have two VMM32 folders now, one in the new Windows folder. It's
contents will override the VMM32.vxd conglomerate entry, if one is also
in there. Here is what is in mine. (I do not see a VFAT.vxd override.)

C:\>dir /a /s C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32
IFSMGR VXD 186,438 09-19-00 12:57p IFSMGR.VXD
IOS VXD 69,570 04-23-99 10:22p IOS.VXD
MRCI2 VXD 53,403 04-23-99 10:22p MRCI2.VXD
QEMMFIX VXD 9,792 04-23-99 10:22p QEMMFIX.VXD

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
| On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:39:40 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
| <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:
|
| >Bill, You might want to try copying the vmm32.vxd from the parallel
| >install over to the original \windows\system folder. VFAT.VXD is
inside
| >the monolithic driver file; vmm32.vxd. Perhaps the file has a small
| >corruption in it. They should be identical, but I'd rename the old
| >one just in case.
| >
| >This doesn't match your error message, but you might check it out
| >for clues.
| >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139063
|
| Thanks Bill,
|
| None of the cures in the article apply, I've had Ifshlp Remmed since
| Win95.
|
| I tried replacing vmm32.vxd with the one in the new installation as
| you suggested but it came up with a missing vmm32.vxd file at boot.
| They are slightly different. It booted anyway after the error msg.
|
| The only other error I get is;
| Fatal Exception OE at (address) in VXD WDMAUD (07).
| I got this message before but it's an audio file so I uninstalled
| WMP or whatever it was. No error for awhile but now it takes turns
| with the VFAT error. Both freeze the system. These came up suddenly
| and I had not made any changes or installs.
|
| After using reset and Scandisk once or twice Windows loads ok.
|
| If I had a real dos disk copy utility I'd restore my backup. I used
| MaxBlast 3 before but it doesn't seem to see the logical partitions
| on the backup drive this time. I may try just restoring the Windows
| folder from the backup after renaming the two I have.
|
| The bootlog.txt file doesn't seem to indicate any errors near the
| end and terminates ok.
|
| Thanks again for your efforts.
|
| Regards,
|
| Bill Watt
| Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:38:56 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
<bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

>"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message news:lpb7h11f7mea3ng9dg9vat48ndoa01cnpe@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:39:40 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
>> <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Bill, You might want to try copying the vmm32.vxd from the parallel
>>>install over to the original \windows\system folder. VFAT.VXD is inside
>>>the monolithic driver file; vmm32.vxd. Perhaps the file has a small
>>>corruption in it. They should be identical, but I'd rename the old
>>>one just in case.
>>>

>> I tried replacing vmm32.vxd with the one in the new installation as
>> you suggested but it came up with a missing vmm32.vxd file at boot.
>> They are slightly different. It booted anyway after the error msg.
>
>Hm. That's strange.. it shouldn't report it missing.
>

>> The only other error I get is;
>> Fatal Exception OE at (address) in VXD WDMAUD (07).
>> I got this message before but it's an audio file so I uninstalled
>> WMP or whatever it was. No error for awhile but now it takes turns
>> with the VFAT error. Both freeze the system. These came up suddenly
>> and I had not made any changes or installs.
>>
>> After using reset and Scandisk once or twice Windows loads ok.
>>
>> If I had a real dos disk copy utility I'd restore my backup. I used
>> MaxBlast 3 before but it doesn't seem to see the logical partitions
>> on the backup drive this time.
>
>If the backup is a simple clone you might try bootitNG. Put it on a floppy,
>boot, "cancel" the install and you'll be in maintenance mode where you
>can delete and copy volumes/partitions.
>

>> I may try just restoring the Windows
>> folder from the backup after renaming the two I have.
>>
>> The bootlog.txt file doesn't seem to indicate any errors near the
>> end and terminates ok.
>>
>> Thanks again for your efforts.
>
>You're welcome, let us know what happens..

Bill,

Copied the vmm386 file over and it made no difference.
Tried copying the backed up windows folder over and things were a
little different but no better.

Disabled config.sys and autoexec.bat and no change. I suspected Zone
Alarm so I uninstalled it and installed the latest version with no
help.

Ran scandisk from Windows and a surface scan of the entire drive.
The windows scan only found several Netscape folders too long to
open in Dos. They were in the Application Data folders. I did not
fix them.

Tried disabling all startup programs in Msconfig and no help.

With all this I don't get the two errors anymore, instead it reboots
right after it loads after scandisk or at the windows blue screen.
Occasionally I get into Windows and it works perfectly until I
restart or shutdown.

I downloaded BootitNg as I may restore my 8 day old backup. I may
reverse the drives and boot from the backup drive. It boots.
Bootitng is different, I'm studying it.

Anyway it's a mess. I'll try some of the Startup and Shutdown links
I have on my site. :)

I'm using the clean install folder right now and of course the only
programs that work are the ones that don't use the Registry.

PCR I tried what you suggested to no avail, thanks.
Rick, I do use an un-installer but I had not installed anything
recently, the problem just suddenly appeared. I am uninstalling
programs I seldom use however.

Thanks to all for your interest.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Bill Watt wrote:

[...]

> Rick, I do use an un-installer but I had not installed anything
> recently, the problem just suddenly appeared. I am uninstalling
> programs I seldom use however.

Going forward then, Bill of course I meant using an uninstaller on an
ongoing basis specifically for the true purpose of tracking all changes
made in the registry & files - and not for uninstalling as it's namesake
implies, so that if even if it was a week or even 2 or more between
comparative saves it would still be still easy to see Exactly what was out
of place that happened and what the changes were which caused it, and that
would facilitate a knowledgeable direction for resolve and the
understanding of what happened. It's like having full coverage movie
cameras of every minute change. Also going forward, having a real
partition image backup of your OS partition from whichever your favorite
brandname imager is - is imperative as well.

All the best, hope you get it going, and please do post back if you find a
resolve so that it can be added to the vfat list.

Rick

> Thanks to all for your interest.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Watt
> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

| PCR I tried what you suggested to no avail, thanks.

You are welcome. OK. The folder "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32" goes hand in
hand with VMM32.vxd. So, if you copy the file, better take the folder
too. If there is something extra in the original one, it is a suspect!
Cquirke once wrote something definitive on this, but I can't seem to
find it!

| Disabled config.sys and autoexec.bat and no change.

OK. Yours is a different VFAT problem from Danny's.

| Ran scandisk from Windows and a surface scan of the entire drive.

It can't be a real bad VFAT error, if Scandisk didn't go nuts over it.
The errors it reported to you were minor.

| Tried disabling all startup programs in Msconfig and no help.

This plus disabling Config.sys & Autoexec.bat gets close to a Safe Mode
boot. The main difference between the two NOW is drivers. Usually the
video driver becomes a suspect, but you have reported sound driver
problems.

| Tried copying the backed up windows folder over and things were a
| little different but no better.

Hmm. The whole thing? Even the Registry? I don't know what to think.

| With all this I don't get the two errors anymore, instead it reboots
| right after it loads after scandisk or at the windows blue screen.
| Occasionally I get into Windows and it works perfectly until I
| restart or shutdown.

It still boots well to Safe Mode every time? Then, perhaps play with the
Video & Sound drivers. For the Video...

For the Monitor...
(1) Boot to Safe Mode
(Hold F5 as you boot or CTRL for the Startup Menu)
(2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
(3) Open the Monitors branch, & Remove all entries.

Perhaps, FIRST, even in Normal Mode, note what is installed
similar to below for the Adapter. That is...
(a) D-Clk the monitor there for Properties, Driver tab.
(b) Click the Update Driver button, then "Next".
(c) Bolt "Display a list...", & click "Next".
(d) Bolt "Show all hardware".
Examine the two panes to see what is currently installed.
That is likely what you wish to end up with, after step (4).

(4) Boot to Normal Mode.

Hopefully, it will be rediscovered & installed. Then, if still
necessary, here is the rigmarole of the Display Adapter...

.......Quote..........
The first thing to do is to remove the video adapter you have
installed. Right-click on the desktop; choose "Properties" from the
drop-down menu; select "Settings;" click on the "Advanced" button; and
click on "Adapter". An adapter is a program that tells Windows how to
deal with a specific video card. Make note of the adapter that is
currently installed. Then, change the adapter to "Standard Display
Adapter (VGA)" and restart the system.

[That is: Click "Change, Next, bolt 'Display a List...', Next, bolt
'Show all hardware', scroll left pane to top, select '(Standard display
types)', select 'Standard Display Adapter (VGA)' in right pane, click
'Next'"... PCR]

This will remove the current adapter and replace it with a generic VGA
adapter that works with all video cards. You will not like VGA because
it supports only 16 colors, but the purpose of installing it is to get
rid of whatever was there before.

Next, return to the adapter screen and install an adapter that matches
your video card. This may or may not be the adapter that you are
using now. Examine the materials you received with your computer to
see if they include a CD-ROM or floppy disk that contains the correct
video adapter. Or go to the Gateway website and see if they have an
adapter for you to download. Or check the website of the company that
made your video card.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
.......End....of quote....

--

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:04:33 -0400, Bill Watt <nobwatt@ptd.net>
wrote:

>>> Win 98 SE 256mb PIII 1 gb. 80gb drive partitioned C:, D: and E:
>>> I'm getting a Vfat error when booting and shutting down. I have to
>>> use the reset button when the error appears.
>>> I can get into Safe Mode
>>> I have run Scandisk every time with no errors. The first time there
>>> was a lost cluster that was fixed.
>>> I ran a surface scan beyond the file area with no bad clusters.
>>> Ran Defrag
>>> Fast shutdown is disabled.
>>> I have disabled almost everything in the Startup in MSconfig.
>>> Trying Bootlog from Boot menu but it ends when Scandisk starts. I'm
>>> going to try to work around that by temporarily disabling Scandisk.
>>> When booting it finishes loading the desktop icons and the volume
>>> control and clock in the systray and appears ready to go but it's
>>> frozen.
>>> After running Scandisk and going into Safe mode a few times it will
>>> eventually load normal mode ok. But then the error appears when
>>> shutting down and I go through it all again.
>>> I installed Windows into a different folder and when I boot with
>>> that all is ok.

SNIP (part of original message)

Well, an update of sorts. :)

I don't get the errors any more, it's now a startup and shutdown
issue.

I can always get into Safe Mode.
Restoring the Windows folder from the backup before the problem
started was no help.
Booting into the clean SE install folder works, loads and shutdowns
every time. But only non-registered programs work, naturally.

I have disabled everything in Startup in MSconfig except Devldr16
and the MS Office bar and now it loads ok from a cold boot but a
restart reboots before the MS blue screen and icons. The next
attempt loads ok.

Disabling autoexec.bat and config.sys did not help and I am now

The BIOS and Device Mgr look ok. Scandisk never reports any errors.

I have some other things to try and I'll update.

Thanks to all for the help and interest.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

How are you booting into the original Windows folder, after installing
Windows to a new folder? The new folder is "Windows.000"? Let us see
your MSDOS.sys & Winboot.ini (if any), specifically...

[Paths]
WinDir=c:\windows
WinBootDir=c:\windows
HostWinBootDrv=c

--

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 00:17:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>How are you booting into the original Windows folder, after installing
>Windows to a new folder? The new folder is "Windows.000"? Let us see
>your MSDOS.sys & Winboot.ini (if any), specifically...
>
>[Paths]
>WinDir=c:\windows
>WinBootDir=c:\windows
>HostWinBootDrv=c

I renamed Windows to Winold. Then installed Windows to Windows. Then
renamed Windows again to Winnew then restored my Windows folder
backup to C: as Windows.
I rename the folders from Dos and use Winbck for the restored
folder.
So, I can boot to any of the three by renaming and rebooting.
The MSdos.sys file remains the same as I am always booting into a
Windows folder.

The Path section of my Msdos.sys:
[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C
UninstallDir=C:\

One thing I forgot to mention since the last update. I have a driver
CD that came with my PC and I used it to automatically install all
the drivers for the devices that came with the machine. I didn't
notice that it helped but maybe it did as things have improved, I'm
in the regular Windows now after only two restarts.

I will try a little longer to fix it then, if not, disconnect the
first drive, make the second Master and boot to the backed up
system and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks for everyone's interest, this is really a pain.

| On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 00:17:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
|
| >How are you booting into the original Windows folder, after
installing
| >Windows to a new folder? The new folder is "Windows.000"? Let us see
| >your MSDOS.sys & Winboot.ini (if any), specifically...
| >
| >[Paths]
| >WinDir=c:\windows
| >WinBootDir=c:\windows
| >HostWinBootDrv=c
|
| I renamed Windows to Winold. Then installed Windows to Windows. Then
| renamed Windows again to Winnew then restored my Windows folder
| backup to C: as Windows.

I should say first I have never done this kind of thing. HOWEVER, there
is an article that says... TWO folders are involved: "C:\Windows" &
"C:\Program Files", and these files: MSDOS.sys, Config.sys, Autoexec.bat
& System.1st. I think this is it...
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
How to Reinstall Windows into a new folder

Here's another article, though, that actually says...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190040
OFF97: Installing Win 98 to New Folder to Tshoot Office Problems
......Quote..........
NOTE: The Program Files folder will not be changed because the Program
Files folder was not renamed.
......EOQ............

| I rename the folders from Dos and use Winbck for the restored
| folder.

DOS is right for that. But what is Winbck? Winold is the original
Windows folder. Winnew is the new one. Windows is either of those,
depending which you are running.

| So, I can boot to any of the three by renaming and rebooting.
| The MSdos.sys file remains the same as I am always booting into a
| Windows folder.
|
| The Path section of my Msdos.sys:
| [Paths]
| WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
| WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
| HostWinBootDrv=C
| UninstallDir=C:\

That seems good for your methodology.

| One thing I forgot to mention since the last update. I have a driver
| CD that came with my PC and I used it to automatically install all
| the drivers for the devices that came with the machine. I didn't
| notice that it helped but maybe it did as things have improved, I'm
| in the regular Windows now after only two restarts.

Normal Mode Windows, you mean, running Winold? Odd Winnew didn't need
it.

| I will try a little longer to fix it then, if not, disconnect the
| first drive, make the second Master and boot to the backed up
| system and see if the problem goes away.

OK. Now that you've described your methodology in more detail, perhaps
someone whose done this can pop in. I know Chauvin did it! And surely so
did Starbuck!

| Thanks for everyone's interest, this is really a pain.

You are welcome. Sure is a pain, but some day I vow to do it. Wait! Make
that: Some day I will vow to do it!

PCR wrote:
> "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
>| On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 00:17:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

[...]

>| I will try a little longer to fix it then, if not, disconnect the
>| first drive, make the second Master and boot to the backed up
>| system and see if the problem goes away.
>
> OK. Now that you've described your methodology in more detail, perhaps
> someone whose done this can pop in. I know Chauvin did it! And surely so
> did Starbuck!

I see you mentioned my name pcr and of course I'm always glad to help
anyone when asked - I enjoy to solve problems, and I have given my advice
to Bill already. I don't understand why he is doing everything the so
very long and hard way around it instead of the most simplest best easy way
in the first place. He seems to want to do things his own way and that's
fine. I don't know what else I can say, but I do care! If he wanted to ask
something specific I would be glad to help where it is my place to do so,
but I don't see any questions for me or I would have responded.

Rick

>| Thanks for everyone's interest, this is really a pain.
>
> You are welcome. Sure is a pain, but some day I vow to do it. Wait! Make
> that: Some day I will vow to do it!
>

>| Regards,
>|
>| Bill Watt
>| Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Yea, I saw you did participate & give good advice as usual. It's just
that I dimly recall you did do his kind of multi-booting once, using
MSDOS.sys to choose which folder to boot. But, yea, if something came to
you, sure you would say so, I know. Sorry to put you on the spot. But
little else is coming into my own head. I know Starbuck has a post
mentioning installing Windows to a new folder. And could be Colorado did
this too or something like it.

--
"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| PCR wrote:
| > "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
| >| On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 00:17:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
wrote:

| [...]
|
| >| I will try a little longer to fix it then, if not, disconnect the
| >| first drive, make the second Master and boot to the backed up
| >| system and see if the problem goes away.
| >
| > OK. Now that you've described your methodology in more detail,
perhaps
| > someone whose done this can pop in. I know Chauvin did it! And
surely so
| > did Starbuck!
|
| I see you mentioned my name pcr and of course I'm always glad to help
| anyone when asked - I enjoy to solve problems, and I have given my
advice
| to Bill already. I don't understand why he is doing everything the
so
| very long and hard way around it instead of the most simplest best
easy way
| in the first place. He seems to want to do things his own way and
that's
| fine. I don't know what else I can say, but I do care! If he wanted
to ask
| something specific I would be glad to help where it is my place to do
so,
| but I don't see any questions for me or I would have responded.
|
| Rick

| >|
| >| Thanks for everyone's interest, this is really a pain.
| >
| > You are welcome. Sure is a pain, but some day I vow to do it. Wait!
Make
| > that: Some day I will vow to do it!

| >|
| >| Regards,
| >|
| >| Bill Watt
| >| Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 13:29:02 -0400, "Rick Chauvin"
<justask@nospamz.com> wrote:

>PCR wrote:
>> "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
>>| On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 00:17:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>| I will try a little longer to fix it then, if not, disconnect the
>>| first drive, make the second Master and boot to the backed up
>>| system and see if the problem goes away.
>>
>> OK. Now that you've described your methodology in more detail, perhaps
>> someone whose done this can pop in. I know Chauvin did it! And surely so
>> did Starbuck!
>
>I see you mentioned my name pcr and of course I'm always glad to help
>anyone when asked - I enjoy to solve problems, and I have given my advice
>to Bill already. I don't understand why he is doing everything the so
>very long and hard way around it instead of the most simplest best easy way
>in the first place. He seems to want to do things his own way and that's
>fine. I don't know what else I can say, but I do care! If he wanted to ask
>something specific I would be glad to help where it is my place to do so,
>but I don't see any questions for me or I would have responded.
>
>Rick

Hi Rick,

I had not used a utility to continually monitor the Registry as you
described so it's not an option. I have one but it's used only for a
session.

There is no guarantee a full restore won't have the same problem
because booting into the backed up windows folder has the same
problem.

I am backing up docs etc since the backup to get ready to restore in
case I can't get this fixed. I tried Fdisk /mbr and it worked but
did not resolve the problem.

The way it is now I can get into windows using the normal Windows
folder after several restarts, scandisks and Safe mode. It then
works normally until I shutdown then the process starts over.

I wish I knew what the Fatal Exception OE at (address) in VXD WDMAUD
(07) error is all about. Occasionally I get that error just after
the desktop icons appear and it hangs the machine too. I've searched
and it appears to be an audio driver for programs I don't have.

If I have any specific questions I'll post back.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bill Watt wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> I had not used a utility to continually monitor the Registry as you
> described so it's not an option. I have one but it's used only for a
> session.

Yes understood, but going forward even if you took a save once a week all
of this would be made simple and a fun thing to fix, and btw, it's not just
a registry snapshot but as you know a an all encompassing complete
registry and file snapshot; even do it once a week or when working on
projects then do it before the work.

> There is no guarantee a full restore won't have the same problem
> because booting into the backed up windows folder has the same
> problem.

That's where again.. well I'm sorry Bill I don't mean to nag you, I'm
sorry, but really for you and your knowledge around here and where you have
been you should know that a simple complete partition backup on your OS
partition takes what 2 minutes, and same to restore it in it 'totality'
...none of this backing up a windows folder or halfass stuff like that;
again sorry to speak straight but really that's so piece meal and
inefficient. Anyway right now for you in your position how to figure out
what happened ..well it's like rummaging through stuff that takes 1000
times more hit/miss effort that what I've mentioned before. ...sorry again
I really don't mean to be hard, it's just if you only knew how easy it is
to do and how all encompassing it is to put you in the drivers seat you
would start now..

> I am backing up docs etc since the backup to get ready to restore in
> case I can't get this fixed. I tried Fdisk /mbr and it worked but
> did not resolve the problem.

ditto

> The way it is now I can get into windows using the normal Windows
> folder after several restarts, scandisks and Safe mode. It then
> works normally until I shutdown then the process starts over.

ditto

> I wish I knew what the Fatal Exception OE at (address) in VXD WDMAUD
> (07) error is all about. Occasionally I get that error just after
> the desktop icons appear and it hangs the machine too. I've searched
> and it appears to be an audio driver for programs I don't have.

ditto again. ..sorry.

I'm sure you have rummaged goog for info about that which may help:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=VXD+WDMAUD

> If I have any specific questions I'll post back.

I would give and do anything to you to fix it Bill. I want to give you the
rote magic answer to save it - it's just you've done so much changing out
of things already it's hard to know what is reacting to what now at this
point.

I almost want to buy you myself True Image and Ashampoo ..once you use
them, or Anything similar, and see how indestructible you can be you would
never ever look back and actually sometimes get so bored with perfection
that you would taunt things to happen just for fun so you can have fun to
easily observe and reverse them.

Again I would/will do and give you anything to help you solve the problem.

Rick

PCR wrote:
> Yea, I saw you did participate & give good advice as usual. It's just
> that I dimly recall you did do his kind of multi-booting once, using
> MSDOS.sys to choose which folder to boot. But, yea, if something came to
> you, sure you would say so, I know. Sorry to put you on the spot. But
> little else is coming into my own head. I know Starbuck has a post
> mentioning installing Windows to a new folder. And could be Colorado did
> this too or something like it.

Maybe you're referring to that I use pqboot to boot to my other OS's rather
than using any other onboard or retail OS boot manager. Yes I also did some
over installs before but why put oneself in that position - it's way less
than perfect.

I strictly use partition imagers constantly to keep me out of trouble, even
duplicate disk to disk hard drives too, but if I want to install IE17 <vbg>
or W98SE SP3 <smile> or anything whatsoever, or even if I destroy my OS, I
just get a drink of milk while I restore the backup partition image in
minutes and continue on - I've done that operation no less than a thousand
times already in my work. If I want a challenge I will watch the tracking
of whatever done and use it for action, and that above all else is a great
teacher to see how things tick and even lets you backtrack out ..it all
makes for indestructible travels.

A fresh install may be the way to go, and from that moment on forever
always have quick, easy, simple, all encompassing full partition backups,
and tracking, and forever run true...

Rick

"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message news:c9bkh11cbci7jcn2ojc0b9l8q1b4pj9f34@4ax.com...

> There is no guarantee a full restore won't have the same problem
> because booting into the backed up windows folder has the same
> problem.

> The way it is now I can get into windows using the normal Windows
> folder after several restarts, scandisks and Safe mode. It then
> works normally until I shutdown then the process starts over.
>
> I wish I knew what the Fatal Exception OE at (address) in VXD WDMAUD
> (07) error is all about. Occasionally I get that error just after
> the desktop icons appear and it hangs the machine too. I've searched
> and it appears to be an audio driver for programs I don't have.

RAM test? PSU?

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 23:19:40 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
<bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

>"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message news:c9bkh11cbci7jcn2ojc0b9l8q1b4pj9f34@4ax.com...
>
>> There is no guarantee a full restore won't have the same problem
>> because booting into the backed up windows folder has the same
>> problem.
>
>> The way it is now I can get into windows using the normal Windows
>> folder after several restarts, scandisks and Safe mode. It then
>> works normally until I shutdown then the process starts over.
>>
>> I wish I knew what the Fatal Exception OE at (address) in VXD WDMAUD
>> (07) error is all about. Occasionally I get that error just after
>> the desktop icons appear and it hangs the machine too. I've searched
>> and it appears to be an audio driver for programs I don't have.
>

>RAM test? PSU?

I have used MEM and MEM /D from Dos and results are normal. That was
among the first things I suspected.

What is PSU? A ram checker?

Good suggestion.

Bill

"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message news:eek:hukh1lb3lpdkaj2tqp7am99j2hvj4nig6@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 23:19:40 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
> <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:
>
>>"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message news:c9bkh11cbci7jcn2ojc0b9l8q1b4pj9f34@4ax.com...
>>
>>> There is no guarantee a full restore won't have the same problem
>>> because booting into the backed up windows folder has the same
>>> problem.
>>
>>> The way it is now I can get into windows using the normal Windows
>>> folder after several restarts, scandisks and Safe mode. It then
>>> works normally until I shutdown then the process starts over.
>>>
>>> I wish I knew what the Fatal Exception OE at (address) in VXD WDMAUD
>>> (07) error is all about. Occasionally I get that error just after
>>> the desktop icons appear and it hangs the machine too. I've searched
>>> and it appears to be an audio driver for programs I don't have.
>>

>>RAM test? PSU?
>
> I have used MEM and MEM /D from Dos and results are normal. That was
> among the first things I suspected.

MEM won't test the RAM Bill, it will only show how it's allocated. I use
simmtester's docmemory, (run a "burn-in" test, and be prepared to let
it run for hours) I've also have heard good things about memtest86.

http://www.simmtester.com/
http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp

http://www.memtest86.com/

> What is PSU? A ram checker?

Power Supply Unit :) Probably less likely, but a possibilty.

It does seem certain a fresh install will cure him, as the Windows in a
new folder does boot well. And he has already said he will do that, if
nothing new comes up. Definitely, afterwards, a full system backup is
the thing to do, periodically. Yea, sounds like you are in good enough
shape to kick your feet up & have a cigar 15 minutes after a
catastrophic failure. Me too!

--
| PCR wrote:
| > Yea, I saw you did participate & give good advice as usual. It's
just
| > that I dimly recall you did do his kind of multi-booting once, using
| > MSDOS.sys to choose which folder to boot. But, yea, if something
came to
| > you, sure you would say so, I know. Sorry to put you on the spot.
But
| > little else is coming into my own head. I know Starbuck has a post
| > mentioning installing Windows to a new folder. And could be Colorado
did
| > this too or something like it.
|
| Maybe you're referring to that I use pqboot to boot to my other OS's
rather
| than using any other onboard or retail OS boot manager. Yes I also did
some
| over installs before but why put oneself in that position - it's way
less
| than perfect.
|
| I strictly use partition imagers constantly to keep me out of trouble,
even
| duplicate disk to disk hard drives too, but if I want to install IE17
<vbg>
| or W98SE SP3 <smile> or anything whatsoever, or even if I destroy my
OS, I
| just get a drink of milk while I restore the backup partition image in
| minutes and continue on - I've done that operation no less than a
thousand
| times already in my work. If I want a challenge I will watch the
tracking
| of whatever done and use it for action, and that above all else is a
great
| teacher to see how things tick and even lets you backtrack out ..it
all
| makes for indestructible travels.
|
| A fresh install may be the way to go, and from that moment on forever
| always have quick, easy, simple, all encompassing full partition
backups,
| and tracking, and forever run true...
|
| Rick
|

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
wrote:
| >|
| >| [...]
| >|

| >|
| >| I see you mentioned my name pcr and of course I'm always glad to
help
| >| anyone when asked - I enjoy to solve problems, and I have given my
| >| advice to Bill already. I don't understand why he is doing
everything
| >| the so very long and hard way around it instead of the most
simplest
| >| best easy way in the first place. He seems to want to do things his
own
| >| way and that's fine. I don't know what else I can say, but I do
care!
| >| If he wanted to ask something specific I would be glad to help
where it
| >| is my place to do so, but I don't see any questions for me or I
would
| >| have responded.
| >|
| >| Rick
| >|
| >| >|

Wait!

| >| >|
| >| >|

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 09:57:45 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
<bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

>"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message news:eek:hukh1lb3lpdkaj2tqp7am99j2hvj4nig6@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 23:19:40 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
>> <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

>>>RAM test? PSU?
>>
>> I have used MEM and MEM /D from Dos and results are normal. That was
>> among the first things I suspected.
>
>MEM won't test the RAM Bill, it will only show how it's allocated. I use
>simmtester's docmemory, (run a "burn-in" test, and be prepared to let
>it run for hours) I've also have heard good things about memtest86.
>
>http://www.simmtester.com/
>http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp
>
>http://www.memtest86.com/
>

>> What is PSU? A ram checker?
>
>Power Supply Unit :) Probably less likely, but a possibilty.

Around here that's Penn State U. :)

Mem test was ok, thanks for the links. It do take awhile.

Disconnected drive 1, made drive 2 (The backed up logical drive) a
primary partition, made it active and it booted. Got the system back
and no problems so far. Several boots ok.
(knock on wood).

Now to connect drive 1 as slave, format it and copy 2 to 1. Then to
make drive 2 drive 1. The drive I was using is 80GB and the back up
drive is 30GB so I need to switch them.

I tried Bootitng but found no way to copy one partition on a drive
to another on a different drive. Seems to work on one drive at a
time. I formatted E: on drive 1 in the attempt but Paste was still
ghosted. Restored it with Copy/paste. :)

I think I'll save the clean install Winnew folder. :)

Thanks again.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/