VFW DV Codec

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=fCEfc.1821%24Ln3.204%40reader1.news.jippii.net

The Microsoft DV codec (that comes free with Windows) is
built around the new DirectShow API. VirtualDub does not
(yet) support these new-fangled DirectShow codecs, so it
cannot use the Microsoft DV codec to read DV AVI files.

However, VirtualDub _can_ read and write DV AVI files if
you install an older-style VfW (Video for Windows) DV
codec in the system.

You can download MainConcept's VfW DV codec for free, but
the free version only allows reading DV data, not writing
it: <http://www.mainconcept.com/products.shtml>

There are other VfW DV codecs as well - some of which
apparently allow (re)compressing, too - but I have not
personally tried them.:

The Panasonic VfW DV codec:
<http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/11/2/2/11-2-2-41.shtml>

The Matrox VfW DV codec (the VFWSoftwareCodec.zip file):
<http://www.rt2500.tv/download/goodies.html>

--
znark

I've used the Panasonic DV codec to convert MPEG-2 files I've captured from
an ATI All-in-Wonder RADEON 9000 to DV AVI's. I converted them using, of all
things, NeroVision Express. Quite a workaround, but now I can work with
AVI's in Premiere.

BTW, I am eagerly awaiting my new Canopus card so I don't have to twiddle my
thumbs whilst watching the progress bar during the procedure above.

- f_f

david.mccall wrote:

> The Matrox VfW DV codec (the VFWSoftwareCodec.zip file):
> <http://www.rt2500.tv/download/goodies.html>

Note that this website no longer exists.

-WD