[SOLVED] VGA and Boot light LED on after installing new PSU

balake

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
I have had an 850W Gold Thermaltake PSU sitting around, as I was waiting for the new GPUs to come in stock, but I decided to go ahead and put it in. I tried just switching the PSUs out and not messing with the cables, but nothing turned on. I switched out all the cables to the new PSU and everything booted up. I had all my storages, my CPU and GPU temps were normal, and all my features were working. I left for about 45 minutes (left my PC running) and when I came back, my PC and all of its RGB was still on but no display. I tried holding the power button to turn it off but it does not work. I now have a red led for the VGA and BOOT and for some reason my power button doesn't glow and it only turns the PC on but not off, with no display. I've tried switching to the old power supply, unplugging and replugging everything, lowering GPU into lower slot... Getting hopeless and running out of ideas.

Solution
Using cables from different brand have most likely damaged one or more of your components, looks like your GPU. PSU's have different pin outs so cables are not inter changeable.

balake

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
Using cables from different brand have most likely damaged one or more of your components, looks like your GPU. PSU's have different pin outs so cables are not inter changeable.
well, the GPU shouldnt be damaged, as I was unable to even use the old cable (because it was built specifically for the evga) so nothing happened there. I turned on the PC with all the old cables (except for the GPU as stated previously) and nothing even flickered so I turned it off and replaced everything. PC worked fine for about an hour and then quit on me.

well, the GPU shouldnt be damaged, as I was unable to even use the old cable (because it was built specifically for the evga) so nothing happened there. I turned on the PC with all the old cables (except for the GPU as stated previously) and nothing even flickered so I turned it off and replaced everything. PC worked fine for about an hour and then quit on me.
The GPU gets 75watts of power from the slot so if wrong voltage goes through there then it can still damage the GPU.

TRENDING THREADS