VGA As Primary And HDTV as 2ndary.Is it possible?

IRhythMz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Im new to stuff like these. i know it should work but,
is it possible using my G210 1GB VGA as Primary On my LCD Monitor and HDMI as 2ndary On My HDTV?
To much of the process will toast my Graphic Card?
And,i would like to set to dual monitors so that i can play NBA 2k11 On My HDTV(2ndary) and Leave my LCD Monitor(Primary) to see latest updates or notification on the web. And i might think running the primary for games too.
i know i risk my Graphic Card and high chances being toast, and i will also install 2 New case fan.
and Here's the rest of my PC specs:
E-View ATX 480W PSU
Intel C2D E4500 2.2GHz @ 2.6GHz *Overclock*
P5GC-MX MoBo.
3GB 667MHz KINGSTON RAM.
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB
[Core: 625MHz Shader: 1452MHz Memory: 835MHz] *Overclock*
Windows XP SP3.
DirectX 9.0c

Display is a BENQ 20" LCD Monitor(as Primary) and HDTV AQUOS 32"(as Secondary).
Hope Replies as soon as possible because i will buy the HDMI Cable later.

Yes, you can make it work. and 1Gb VRAM will be enough for those 2 displays.
The main thing will be to see what resolutions you plan on using for the dual display config.
The max resolution that the card supports should not be exceeded.
Native resolution of 20" LCD + Native Resolution of 32" HDTV <= Max Resolution of G210 1GB

The 32" is not required to display stuff at it's native resolution necessarily since it may make things look too small, usually big displays are run at lower resolutions .

leon2006

Distinguished
Yes you can....I have 3 setups of such where HDTV is the secondary display.

All connections i use is HDMI.

You can setup your display to max resolution (i.e. 1080P)

Here's what i have for your reference

Primary Display 24 inch LCD @ 1080P (HDMI), 2nd Display 70inch HDTV @ 1080P (HDMI)
Primary Display 24 inch LCD @ 1080P (HDMI), 2nd Display 50 inch HDTV @ 1080P(HDMI)
Primary Display 24 inch LCD @ 1080P (HDMI), 2nd Display 65 inch HDTV @ 1080P(HDMI).

My card that drives 50 inch HDTV is 4 year old 8800GT 512.... Your card is better than that so you can set it to MAX. Whatever your display can provide. It will not harm your card.....GO FOR IT... GET BIGGER TV if you have the money.

If your HDTV has 120HZ or higher rating you need to setup one of the digital input (HDMI) to PC MODE. Sunch HDTV have interpolation Algorithm to improve the 24FPS HDTV/ Blue-Ray content. This feature will blur the HDTV display and must disabled.

Games are default to Primary Display. If you wish to play in Large Display like HDTV just switch the setting... Make it the Primary Display... That's how i play games on 70 Inch HDTV @ 1080P.

Good Luck and Enjoy ... Yes it can be done

leon2006

Distinguished
I run and check my setups for XP Pro-32, Windows Vista Ultimate-64, Windows 7 Ultimate/Home 64/32, and Linux Ubunto...

No issues at all.

Primary Display setting is base on what you set. On the hardware side one of the DVI/HDMI is default as Primary Display. You can always change the settings on the OS.

I have both Nvidia and ATI GPUs...

IRhythMz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Ok. All Done...
But..its not what i wanted and not the purpose buying the HDMI Cable.
You See...The purpose buying HDMI cable is to have Multiple display.
Yup. I've done that...and another purpose is to Have to screen able to open each software. u know what i mean?
My mean,Plug my USB Dual shock joystick,play NBA 2k11 while Playing Facebook or sudden attack SEA.
You see, the problem is when i open My Game on the 2ndary, and i click my Google chrome on primary,so does the 2ndary,reset itself to desktop. Any ideas how to do it?
what i want to do is...Playing games on 2ndary[HDTV] and playing other mini games or searching the web AT THE SAME TIME without affecting the 2ndary.[HDTV] Any ideas how to do it? is is possible?

CtrldLoonacy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Without reading this post yet I made my own HERE with a similar question. I was just trying to make sure it was possible to run a game on my HDTV while running Firefox, etc. on an 19" lcd monitor. I think I'm gonna have to reverse it though and use my tv as monitor 1 and the lcd as monitor 2. -I had no idea there could be problems when clicking on one screen or the other. Even if I don't end up having this problem I'd like to know how you end up fixing it. Good luck.

See, the moment you use one screen for fullscreen gaming , the resolution on the GPU goes to the resolution set in the game, thus the problem.
To be able to game on one monitor and work on another at the same time without going thru such resets and freezes, we usually play the game in windowed mode on the bigger of the two/three screens. This enables us save on the details and size of the game screen and yet have the other monitor fully functional for other softwares and stuff.

IRhythMz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

i heard of a software which is 1 cpu on two workstations. Ever heard ibik ASTER? Any good using it?

IRhythMz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

I was hoping running 2 games at the same time but on different screen with fullscreen resolution.
Erm..Like...i playing NBA 2k11 using the HDTV and twin dual shock joystick while my little bro playing Sudden attack on the LCD Monitor screen at the same time. i wan hoping i can find any solution to it. After a few research i found that software, but sadly, you need to pay if u're using it. i was hoping i could do like this, but i only need 2 screen. Any ideas?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2bxYj-j1tA

CtrldLoonacy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Wow. That doesn't seem...ideal. (I wish) It seems like there should be some kind of hot-key that lets you switch between screens to make them active. I just read a bit of the FAQ for UltraMon and there was something like "Can I read email on one screen while playing games on the other?". The answer said that either the system/OS or UltraMon wouldn't really be happy. Was I reading that right? Was it current? I'm still kind of shocked. If I want to have a 2 monitor setup, it seems right now I can only use the second screen for reference when the first is in fullscreen.

Is there a way to play "every" game in windowed mode in fullscreen? Even if I had to see a border...seeing the start button and taskbar takes me right out of whatever I'm doing. Can I just add -windowed and stretch it?

-It sounds like there would be no problems if both screens were the same resolution then?

I guess, you could always hide the taskbar, but yes you can fullscreen a windowed game by clicking the usual Maximize Tab in the window, the only pain would be looking at the Black border around your game, like a window in a window to the game :) And that is a pain.

IRhythMz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

Yup.That's what i meant! We've got the same problem and we had the same purpose of having multiple display!
We want to have 2 Activities for 2 Different screen without affecting it. Like,NBA 2K11 On HDTV and "Habbo" On my 20" LCD monitor and my sister are playing it.And,i've found the only way to settle this is by downloading a desktop multiplier software! Plus,these software ain't cheap and no free.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg2q9T0RSUU