VGA Charts Part III

pauldh

Illustrious
First, I am most thankful for the latest Toms VGA Charts and for including so many cards once again. Great work! I have spent countless hours benchmarking myself, and know that this is no small task.
I do have a couple complaints though. First, the FBucks to me, seems useless and innacuarate.
Second, although Quake III has been a great gamers benchmarking tool in the past, and I welcome seeing results from it now, it should not have been included in the fbucks calculations. It throws everything off, most importantly to me the summary score (total fps used). I mean 2 cards could score virtually identical in all tests and if one scores 50 fps higher in quake 3, it looks like a far superior card. Yet even if I still played quake 3, I wouldn't care if I get 150 fps or 200 fps. Just look at a 9800 pro vs. FX5900 ultra matchup. I'd take a 9800 Pro in a heartbeat as it performs better in virtually every test, but the quake score makes the 5900 Ultra look to be the better performer and better deal???

Anyway, great work! I just had to share my quake/fbucks observations.

G

Ya agreed pretty nice to see where your card is in the whole pack and what performance gain youll get with a newer one.
Also agree that Q3 is an outdated benchmark we dont see any UT (not 2k3) benchmark around...
Like spitfire mentionned also, who cares if you get 200 or 250 fps in Q3.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yeah i like that they use so many cards to still see where older cards stand against new cards, but i wish they would show what Specific card they use, because when i built this system Leadtek was a good brand for geforce... what other makers these days make a great card... even the high end models like the 5950ultra.. what brands should i go with, because this june or july i plan on building another killer... not sure what brands have been good for GPU

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

hengbokdl7

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2004
The test setup for these benchmarks uses the 52.16's from nvidia, do those run in dx9 better than that of the forceware 53.03's?

Also, these benchmarks don't reflect stability right? In my experience, nvidia's tend to be more stable, and render the correct things on the screen, versus ati cards which again in my experience have screwed up lots of things on the screen which should appear one way, but don't...

What can you tell me about first, the drivers, and second, the nvidia, ati situation.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
In my experience, nvidia's tend to be more stable, and render the correct things on the screen, versus ati cards which again in my experience have screwed up lots of things on the screen which should appear one way, but don't...
That used to be the case yes. But the situation changed a few months back, and it ended up completely the other way around believe it or not. Recently, things have blured once again, we're at the "don't give a phück anymore" phase.

-----
How much muck can a fücker chuck, if the fücker could chuck muck?