VGA cooler installation advice on r9 290

ZiggaZow

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
I purchased an r9 290 knowing it has heat problems, so I also purchased the Gelid icy vision rev 2. I have never installed a VGA cooler before and I am hesitant to install because i do not wish to damage my $400 investment any advice on how to install correctly would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Read then re-read and read the instruction again. Take your time. No reason to rush. Take everything one step at a time. Check the Gelid website, Youtube, or google search for instructional videos. Take apart the old heatsink and see how the new Gelid fits on before actually installing it. See how it makes contact with the gpu so you know where and how much thermal paste to apply. Use alcohol swabs or electronics cleaner to clean all surfaces of the GPU before installing the Gelid. Use jersey cotton or electrostatic gloves if your paranoid about fingerprints and/or static discharge. MOST IMPORTANTLY, take your time and FOLLOW the instructions!

It's really not that hard. Take you less that 30 minutes start to finish. Good luck!

fgin23

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Best thing is to follow the instructions. But you unscrew all the screws from the back of the card and remove the casing. Then after you take the chip out screw all the screws back in with just the car so you don't lose the screws. Then wipe the old thermal paste and apply new layer. Then put the aftermarket cooler on. I'm not sure how you're out but this is the case with most.

Also that card is rated to run to 105 degrees celcius safely. Hope I helped!

Read then re-read and read the instruction again. Take your time. No reason to rush. Take everything one step at a time. Check the Gelid website, Youtube, or google search for instructional videos. Take apart the old heatsink and see how the new Gelid fits on before actually installing it. See how it makes contact with the gpu so you know where and how much thermal paste to apply. Use alcohol swabs or electronics cleaner to clean all surfaces of the GPU before installing the Gelid. Use jersey cotton or electrostatic gloves if your paranoid about fingerprints and/or static discharge. MOST IMPORTANTLY, take your time and FOLLOW the instructions!

It's really not that hard. Take you less that 30 minutes start to finish. Good luck!

Solution

ZiggaZow

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

I spent the better part of three hours installing the cooler but it seems to be working fine my temps are now running at a cool 35-45(c) under full load. Thanks for the advice and your time!