VGA cooling (G4 MX440)

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
I'm looking to overclock my Chaintech GeForce4 MX440, and I'm adding TweakMonster RAM-sinks, but I need a new GPU cooler... Thinking the Thermaltake line of orbs, but is there anything better ? Maybe even using a Zalman Northbridge heatsink with a slanted mounted fan? Suggestions please.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
That was an idea, but is it suitable for overclocking? Also, I'm thinking in terms of price and noise.. My original idea was to slap on some ramsinks and bare heatsink (http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/105/78/component.htm) with a fan on the lower right side of the card, proped-up from the bottom (some plastic rods), diagonally, with another piece of plastic creating wintunnel from the bottom of the fan leading to an exhaust hole in the PCI slot below... good idea or flop?

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
a 40mm fan would screw straight onto the HS. dont go overboard mate.. spend the money on a better card instead? :/

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

Frisbee

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Zalman does have very good VGA coolers which work fanless while still being better than ANY Orb cooler.
But mind you: they are HUGE, and occupy the closest PCI-slot.

You can check them out at the following URL:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/zm50-hp.htm

Only look at the ZM50-hp and the ZM80A-HP (not the ZM80-HP).
As you can see, they are big, and not really cheap,
but excellent for cooling a GF 4MX.
Don't look at their smaller models; those are intended for video chips which don't produce a lot of heat, such as the Kyro series of chips (which I have).

With these Zalman coolers, YOU CAN OVERCLOCK AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Heat will no longer be a problem, as long as there is enough airflow in your PCs case of course.
And because they're fanless, your noise problem is solved too.

But mind you, I think that the bigger model, the ZM80A-HP, also covers the memory chips, so don't use RAM sinks yet!
But I'm not entirely certain about this, so check it out at their website.

Hope this helps.

Greetings from Belgium!
Carl