VGA DVI adapter. What are the cons

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
A friend of mine recently bought a new pc but has a really old display (CRT). Another option he has till buying a new one, is another VGA monitor but slightly newer (not CRT, I dont know what its called).

What are some cons of using adapters? Another friend of mine done this with a 24 LCD screen I gave to him, but I've noticed some tearing while the image is being refreshed and also that the only refresh rate supported was 60hz on every single resolution, while I could go till 75hz when I used it, without an adapter obviously.

Was it my imagination? Or there are cons. Would like to read something about if any, but couldn't find. Thanks in advance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the GPU in question.

DVI-I to VGA adapters are basically straight through. The DVI-I port is supplying the analog signals, just a form factor conversion effectively.

Newer GPUs don't support DVI-I, they might have DVI-D or Dual Link ports but these are fully digital. Then you need an active adapter that generates the RGB signals for a VGA connection. Those do introduce input lag. Might as well get HDMI to VGA at that point, much more common active adapters.

Tearing is a result of monitor refresh rate and the frame rate not matching. Turning on V-sync is the common solution, however, if your GPU can't maintain the FPS then you will get tearing again, doubled up (or more) frames. V-sync also adds input lag.

Cheap LCD monitors can be found fairly easily used. Check your local classifieds or craigslist. They might also be VGA, but most older LCD panels will at least support DVI if not HDMI.

In general, if that is what you have, then the disadvantages are outweighed by having a display at all.

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
It would be applied on a 1060 6gb, according to the specifications, if I haven't missed something, operates only on dual link dvi and HDMI, so best option at the moment should be a HDMI/VGA adapter instead of DVI/VGA. Am I correct?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It would be applied on a 1060 6gb, according to the specifications, if I haven't missed something, operates only on dual link dvi and HDMI, so best option at the moment should be a HDMI/VGA adapter instead of DVI/VGA. Am I correct?

Sorry for the late reply, new forum had me struggling for a bit to find things.

Yes, most DVI - VGA adapters are passive and rely on the GPU to output RGB. These would have been the common ones included with graphics cards prior to the GTX900 series and R9-200/300 series.

Active HDMI or DisplayPort to VGA are somewhat inexpensive, though they don't always last that long from what I have seen (Though that might be from plugging them in all the time, having it just sit there might be fine)

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...=8-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+vga+adapter&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Moread-Gold-...=8-2-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+vga+adapter&psc=1

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Sorry for the late reply, new forum had me struggling for a bit to find things.

Yes, most DVI - VGA adapters are passive and rely on the GPU to output RGB. These would have been the common ones included with graphics cards prior to the GTX900 series and R9-200/300 series.

Active HDMI or DisplayPort to VGA are somewhat inexpensive, though they don't always last that long from what I have seen (Though that might be from plugging them in all the time, having it just sit there might be fine)

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...=8-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+vga+adapter&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Moread-Gold-...=8-2-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+vga+adapter&psc=1
No problem man, its not your duty to help plebs like me.

By the way, today I had to assemble that PC. It was my second build, first one was like 4 years ago. My friend bought a DVI to VGA adapter, really cheap, no brand, just said made in china. So after 5 hours of following instructions, I connected everything, but the display had no signal. The computer was working fine, fans were active, processor cooler was active, also GPU fans. We tested 2 monitor, which were VGA. Also I tested the newer one on the VGA input from the integrated graphics. Still no signal.

What could be the problem? Adapter? Or is it the GPU which is too new for something too old, vulgarly speaking.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
99% (or more) of your common DVI-VGA adapters will not work with a GTX1060. Pascal GPUs don't output an analog video signal at all. VGA is essentially a dead standard.

Active converters have chips inside that convert the digital signal to analog RGB voltages for VGA connections. You will need an active adapter. The above links are good examples of what you will need.

Reactions: maet4

TRENDING THREADS