[SOLVED] VGA error light and beep code makes no sense...

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Howdy folks! I'm having a major issue with the video card with my new build and I'm really confused.

Here's my new build:

LIAN LI PC-O12WX
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI
AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MSI GeForce GTX 1660
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600
Sabrent 500GB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280

So here's the history of the issue. I threw all these components together with a different card originally that I had bought off a friend used. It was a GeForce RTX 2070. When I ran the system, the VGA light came on and I got a long beep followed by three quick beeps. I then swapped in an old GeForce card (honestly can't remember off the top of my head), and everything worked fine. I assumed the new card was just bad, so I bought a new card and dropped the 2070 off at Best Buy to recycle.

The new card came in the mail, I popped it in and..........same errors!!! I then borrowed another older card from my father to test, worked like a charm. Now, of course, I'm really skeptical that there was even anything wrong with the 2070. I'm a complete idiot for not saving it until the system was up and running! But if it really wasn't bad, then why are these two newer cards giving me errors and not the two older ones?

So I tried a few things. I thought maybe this was a power issue as both new cards only had one power hook-up. Maybe I missed a second one? Nope. I tried reseating it. I tried moving it to a different slot. Didn't work. I pop the old card back in, works fine still. It's also worth noting that when I take the card out altogether, I get the same errors. VGA light and the triple beep.

Another thing worth noting, that I can't imagine would be part of the issue, but I don't know enough to say for sure. This case is super strange and because of it's split level design, I had to ditch the heat sink that came with my chip and replace it with a low profile one. I got a Noctua NH-L12S 70mm, which is massive. It fits in the case, but it covers up two of the RAM slots, which means I have them installed next to each other. When I boot up the machine with the old video card (the one that actually works), I get an error explaining that they should be installed in alternating slots, of course, and that the RAM speed is taking a significant hit. This needs to be addressed, but would that have an effect on a newer GPU not working?

I'm totally stumped here, and I'm about to mail this brand new card back to Newegg for a replacement because it's the only thing left I can think of. Any ideas?

-Mr3d

Solution
After fixing my memory issue (along with several others), it still wasn't working. I booted up with an older card, which worked fine, and flashed my BIOS and BAM! Everything worked fine now. I think it was just a simple compatibility update.

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Nah, that wasn't me. I just replied to that guy. My PSU is a brand new 750 watt. I can give you the model later when I get home, I can't remember off-hand.

As for the AIO, I'm planning on it. But do you think that actually has something to do with this issue?

Lutfij

Titan
But do you think that actually has something to do with this issue?
I do, yes since you've stated that the low profile cooler is causing you to have the sticks of ram side by side as opposed to what's stated in the motherboard manual, whereby you use one slot on each bank.

In essence, you're just creating problems that can be avoided. We're trying to help you solve the problems you're creating. One was the USB-C port thread.

Reactions: Mr3dPHD

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Well we will see soon enough if that fixes the issue. I submitted an RMA for my heat sink and I'm about to order an AOI cooler. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this EVA CLC 280mm. This will be my fist time using one.

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
After fixing my memory issue (along with several others), it still wasn't working. I booted up with an older card, which worked fine, and flashed my BIOS and BAM! Everything worked fine now. I think it was just a simple compatibility update.

Solution