Question VGA error on first boot in the morning ?

Tauno M

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
So i built myself new PC with GPU and some drives from my old PC. The problem is that when i power on the PC in the morning. It gives me VGA error by beeping (one long and 3 short beeps if i remember correctly) and the VGA error light turns on on motherboard. Then i have to press ctrl+alt+del to restart it and everything is fine after that. No problems while gaming or anything gpu related. The gpu also worked well on my old PC. I cant figure out what could be wrong. The cables are all attached and gpu seems to be correctly in socket and screwed in.

The specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5800X
ASUS TUF GAMING b550-PLUS (WI-FI)
ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 DDR4 16gb (2x8gb)
Be quiet! CPU COoler Dark Rock 4
750W Seasonic Focus-GX-750
Kingston 1tb NVME
GTX 1060 6gb (from old PC)
+ some other older drives from old PC

tecmo34

Administrator
In addition to what is previously mentioned, when you went to the new PC from the old and used drives from the previous build, did you do a fresh install of Windows or use the Windows from the old system? Not recommended to do so, if you are doing a major platform update, so a fresh install is the best option.

Is fast boot disabled in your bios (recommend if not already)?

Have you tried clearing your CMOS?

Tauno M

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Armoury Crate says that i do not have bios updates and it reports that i have version 1202.

I updated all drivers after i got the new pc running. But the problem is not in windows. All games and everyhting works fine in windows. Its only the bootup that has the problem and that is not affected by drivers.

Armoury crate says i have bios 1202.

Ill check the fast boot and turn it off if not already.

About ram speed. I have Ram that is capable to run at 3200 but i my pc failed to boot after i enabled the profile for it. I dont remember what it was called. So my ram runs at default speed, some speed around 2600 i think. So that is another problem. I would love to use full ram speed too.

Tauno M

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Okay i manually checked and there was bios update. I wonder why the Armor crate did not show it. I updated to latest. I hope this helps about the boot problem. BUT, i also tried the DOCP thinking that maybe the bios update fixed it but it still failed to boot with it. It tried couple of times and then it went to settings and i disabled the DOCP profile.