VGA led on, everything else seems to run but no bios. no display. please ...help...

Aug 27, 2018
I've built a new PC this week using some of my old ones

( basically the new build is Ryzen 2700X build and the old build is i7-4790k build, didn't overclock anything on both build.)

the new ones are marked by @
---------------------------------------
@CPU: ryzen 2700X
@MB: x470 aorus gaming 5 wifi
@RAM: Gskill trident Z 2666 rgb 8g * 2
@one Samsung SSD(500GB), @one Toshiba HDD(2T), one ODD (dvdcd)
VGA: gigabyte gtx970 g1 gaming
PSU: topower TOP-600D 80plus bronze (70$)
-----------------------------------------

after i built everything and turned the power on everything powers on. The led for the fans and MB is on all fans are running and stuff. but it doesn't go to the BIOS and the VGA led is on on the MB.

I checked every component to see if its broken but everything works fine.

the gtx 970 still works on my previous build ( i7-4790k, z87 asrock MB, DDR3 samsung ram 8g * 2 , same psu ) so gtx970 has no problem

tried using different VGA on new build a very cheap nvidia GT 240.
nothing changed BUT!!! when i unplugged the ODD and started again it worked fine!!! (began to think it was the PSU problem)

so i installed windows and started setting up my computer (thought it was a PSU problem at first)

so according to what i've done. every component works! the CPU, RAM, MB, VGA, SDD, HDD, PSU etc.. but the gtx 970 doesnt seem to work with the new build.

I tried using a different 600W PSU for the new build (with gtx 970) which is Micronics 600W classic II (40$~50$) don't remember the exact model name.

it had the same problem, MB had the VGA led on , no BIOS no display.
The Micronics power works fine with the old build with gtx 970.

hmmm so i am very strongly thinking 600W isn't enough for my new build.

so i just started using my new build using GT 240 till i get a stronger PSU.

however i couldn't understand why 600W isn't enough for my new build.

So i started searching again looking for answers and found out it may be a BIOS problem or some kind of compatibility problem.

updated BIOS using USB to version F3 successfully, loaded default settings for the BIOS and installed the GTX 970 again (of course the power cord is unplugged on every component installation)

results? NOTHING changed.

removed all SDD, HDD, ODD so the only thing plugged in is CPU, RAM, VGA, PSU -> Nothing changed.

used the Power button trick -> Nothing changed

cleared CMOS, removed CMOS battery and reinstalled -> Nothing changed

guys my mental is starting to collapse. i had hope that it would work. but now i am losing it and i am not even sure if the gtx 970 is gonna work with the new build after replacing it with a stronger PSU.

by the way I am planning to OC my CPU and RAM for the new build.

so to sum it up.

1. all Components works fine.
2. gtx 970 not working on New build ( Ryzen 2700x build )
3. gtx 970 works fine on Old build ( i7-4790K build )
4. removing non essentials didnt fix.
5. BIOS update, cmos clear didnt fix the problem.
6. lost hope

thanks for reading all the long long post. if anyone has a solution to try out or has any idea of what the problem might be it would be very much appreciated thank you so much have a nice day :D

Aug 27, 2018
something interesting happened.

i put the GT 240 at pcie x8
and put the gtx 970 at pcie x16 and plugged hdmi to the gtx970

and what the hell. it works? installed graphics drivers and gtx 970 shows up on the system. ( only SDD is plugged in not HDD and ODD)

but as soon as i removed the gt 240 it doesnt work.

i'll keep on trying stuff

Mar 2, 2019
Same problem here but with a setup a bit different:

• CPU: Ryzen 2600
  • mobo: B450 Aorus Elite
  • vga card: Gigabyte RX 480 4G
  • monitor: ViewSonic VX2458-C-MHD

I saw that if the computer is connected on my TV (an LG 4k) it posts all the startup thing without any problem and I was able to enter in the BIOS setup, then a lot of tries later I figured out the problem is the CSM option. It must be disabled to work properly on my monitor.

After this... only happiness with my new PC.

Hope this could help anyone with the same (or similar) problem.

Cheers