Question VGA light on MOBO flashes once - then off. No display ?

Oct 26, 2020
Hi there, this forum has served me many, many times in the past reading what others have asked, so I figured I'd ask here directly this time - when I can't figure out a problem out.

I have a rather new build, all but the PSU, that I left on with a video still playing while I popped out for an hour. I came home, and I had no display.
I restarted, still no display. Rinse repeat enough, I figure there's a problem.

I swapped out my new GPU for an old one, and about 70% of the time my PC boots successfully, and I have display. The MOBO VGA light flashes briefly even if it does successfully boot with this old GPU. I decided to test multiple boots cause I was ready to RMA my new card, but I wondered if it possibly was the PSU.
I'm positive everything is where it's meant to be, all plugged in correctly, etc. I had this PC running fine for about 2 months now, which is as long as I've had it - though I have noticed some slow downs and stutters in video games (power limitations, I wonder?).

Basically I was very ready to RMA this card until my older, much less power usage GPU did the same thing - though not 100% of the time. I tried to get rid of some power draws by unplugging unessential fans, USB things, etc, but was unable to get my new card to work.
The new GPU's LEDs power on, but no fans spin, and of course no display on monitor. I reseated RAM, the GPU (obviously) and reset my BIOS. I really wish I wasn't AFK when whatever happened, happened.

I use this PC as a work station, and have some time sensitive stuff, so I need to figure out what seems like the most likely option so I can get it sorted ASAP.

CPU: i5 9400
MOBO: MSI MAGB3G5M
RAM: HYPERX 16GB DDR4
PSU: AEROCOOL KCAS 550G 550W 80+
GPU: AMD 5500 XT OC 4GB
(OLD GPU): NVIDIA 950 2GB(?)'

I am leaning towards it being the PSU (though, part of that is cause I don't want my new stuff to be already dead lmao) as the brand isn't the best and I cannibalised it from an older, smaller form function PC I used to take in suitcases overseas with me.

Thank you kindly for any help you may offer, and for everything you've done for me in the past.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020
Well first thing that catches my eye is that Aerocool psu which just isn't great quality, since having those new parts would i upgrade that as well since it might be the source of your problems.
Thanks for your reply! I gave the brand a quick Google after your comment and noticed people saying they'd never buy this brand ever - so got a RM750x expressed to see if that was the issue (and if not, get a potentially volatile piece of hardware out of my computer, lol) but unfortunately, no luck.

It seems now, with either card, the VGA red led flashes briefly, and then disappears. The older card will show no display and my monitor will go to sleep UNTIL the Windows loading circle begins spinning - I never see my BIOS logo thing, I have to wait for Windows to begin loading.
My newer card still does nothing. Waiting does nothing, fans do not spin, only the LEDs light up, and that is it.
I'm really at a loss here on what part I need to get fixed, frankly, lol.

Oct 26, 2020
Well I got rid of AMD drivers I never bothered to get rid of (in the hopes my card wasn't at fault) and now BIOS loads perfectly fine on my old card.
It looks like this GPU is dead. I did get it in August, so I guess the time line sort've fits for a GPU that fails? I've never actually had anything new fail on me, 'til now. Nor have I RMA'd anything, so I hope that process isn't awful.
Thanks for your reply though Vic, glad I got the new PSU despite it not being absolutely necessary - thing's cool as all hell.
I guess this is solved!

Reactions: Vic 40