[SOLVED] VGA light on motherboard. Help.

Sep 17, 2020
right, ladies and gentlemen im at a loss and any help will be appreciated.

Ive just built my second computer components;

Ryzen 7 3700x processor m
Msi b550 m mortar motherboard
Geforce RTX 2060 gpu
Seasonic GM650 psu
Patriot viper 16gb ram
1tb m.2 crucial ssd

All went well, system booted up, i installed window, downloaded drivers and one of my games from steam. After a quick game to see how the gpu was working i decided to quit out and start downloading more games. Whilst in a ge menu, the whole system froze and i couldnt bacl out. After roughly five minutes, i switched the thing off but the power button.

Since then, ive not been able to get a thing on the monitor and i have a red VGA light!

Ive tried everything. I reset cmos? Took battery out ..

I then replaced the mother board and the cpu (with like for like). Ive moved ram about the system! I feel like ive covered all bases, nothing has changed, i still get a blank screen, cant get into bios, nothing.

Solution
Hi, thanks for the advice. im quite a novice to this and am just trying to find my way as i go, so forgive my ignorance but.

No, i havent tried that, i think i should though as im slowly coming to realise that the problem is either ssd or the psu and the PSU is 80 plus gold standard so in doubtful of that being the issue.

What should i expect when i attempt this? How would i troubleshoot the problem once in the bios or is the point of the excersize simply to ascertain that its the m.2 ssd thats causing the lack of display?

Any further help you give will be greatly appreciated.
This is one of the few options you have at the moment since nothing else seems to work. At least you will know everything else in your computer is...
Sep 17, 2020
Have you tried booting with no drives connected to see if you can get into the BIOS?
Hi, thanks for the advice. im quite a novice to this and am just trying to find my way as i go, so forgive my ignorance but.

No, i havent tried that, i think i should though as im slowly coming to realise that the problem is either ssd or the psu and the PSU is 80 plus gold standard so in doubtful of that being the issue.

What should i expect when i attempt this? How would i troubleshoot the problem once in the bios or is the point of the excersize simply to ascertain that its the m.2 ssd thats causing the lack of display?

Last edited:

This is one of the few options you have at the moment since nothing else seems to work. At least you will know everything else in your computer is working properly.
Just to check, was the computer unplugged when you removed the motherboards coin battery? It needs to be unplugged or removing the battery will not reset the CMOS.

Solution
Sep 17, 2020
This is one of the few options you have at the moment since nothing else seems to work. At least you will know everything else in your computer is working properly.
Just to check, was the computer unplugged when you removed the motherboards coin battery? It needs to be unplugged or removing the battery will not reset the CMOS.
Yeah, i unplugged it all and used a jumper, ive not tried that with the new motherboard because i just felt that if im having the same issue it must be one of the componants that havent been replaced or tested my old build that is the problem.

Im away for a few days at the moment but will try taking the m.2 out as soon as i get back to see if i can get into the bios. Thank you for the heads up though.

Its frustrating but im trying to look at this as a great opportunity to learn more.

Reactions: rocktalkrock