VGA Monitor Resolution and driver problem.

aula27y

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
I just bought a new monitor, second hand, and i tried to connect it to my pc using vga, since my computer is really old and doesn't have a hdmi port. 1. My computer can't identify the monitor. It says Generic NoN PnP Monitor. It's a LG 22m45hq. When i click identify nothing happens, nor when i click detect. 2.The monitor is 1920x1080p, but since my computer can't identify it the highest setting is 1600x1240. 3. The monitor is kinda blurry. Text and icon have something like a shadow. Can you please help me out? My gpu's driver is up to date. I have an ATI Radeon 4200 HD. (i know its really old). It['s not from the cable, I tried 3 different cables, 2 of them were brand new and nothing changed. On the first(the old one) there were no shadows, but my computer couldn't identify the monitor so the highest resolution was 1600x1024. On the second cable at first my computer still could not identify the monitor, but the shadows appeared. After switching the second and the first cables a couple of times I was able to make the computer recognize the monitor as LG 22m45hq. I was finnaly able to set the resolution to 1920x1080p. But the shadows still remained. I switched the old cable with new one yet again and the resolution remained, while the shadows were gone. After a couple hours i turned off my computer. On the next day I switched it on and the resolution was back to what it was at the beginning and the computer again couldn't recognize the monitor. The 3rd cable had the shadows as well and my computer couldn't recognize the monitor.

Solution
It is possible that the vga connector on the display is in bad shape/has a problem, which might cause problems like you describe.
It also could explain why it worked for him (1070 has no DVI or VGA output but it does have HDMI which the display also has and so the seller likely tested it with HDMI)

Also fixing/replacing the VGA connector on screen might be a lot of work and before knowing for sure that it is the vga connector, getting it repaired might not be best choice. (meaning you would need to find a computer with HDMI output and try with that, if that works, screen itself should be fine and fixing the connector could solve the issue)

Also, just mentioning it since it is possible, the connector on your laptop might be faulty too...

aula27y

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
Also I contacted the seller and he said that everything was working fine for him, but he said he tested it with a gtx 1070, which is a lot newer and faster card.

It is possible that the vga connector on the display is in bad shape/has a problem, which might cause problems like you describe.
It also could explain why it worked for him (1070 has no DVI or VGA output but it does have HDMI which the display also has and so the seller likely tested it with HDMI)

Also fixing/replacing the VGA connector on screen might be a lot of work and before knowing for sure that it is the vga connector, getting it repaired might not be best choice. (meaning you would need to find a computer with HDMI output and try with that, if that works, screen itself should be fine and fixing the connector could solve the issue)

Also, just mentioning it since it is possible, the connector on your laptop might be faulty too.

if the screen works with HDMI and your laptop's VGA output is fine (works with other displays) then you might be able to get around it with active (powered, through USB or by other means) vga to HDMI converter (most of them work only in one direction, VGA to HDMI or HDMI to VGA, not both)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Convertor-Cable-Converter-support/dp/B00K808RVQ

Solution