VGA monitor to graphics card help

oobike

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hi, so I've recently upgraded my desktop, and put an HD 6670 in it, so now I have to the use GPU's ports for display. but I've run into a problem. currently I'm connected to my hdtv through the HDMI port on the card but I want to be able to use my monitor that is VGA only, on the card the only ports are, DVI, HDMI, and display port. I bought a VGA to DVI adapter but when I powered on my system, the monitor goes into power saving mode. It does recognize that it is connect, because before it will say vga not connected and then it will recognize it's plugged in and go into power savings mode. All I want to do is plug my computer into my VGA only monitor, I'm not going to buy a new monitor. there has to be some sort of adapter to accomplish this. please help

oobike

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

when I plug the VGA cable into the adapter the monitor says "entering power savings mode" and it turns off or sleeps. it is set on never sleep, and the problem still happens. I have windows 7

oobike

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
After it goes to sleep I can't do anything, the computer is on but the monitor is just blank screen pressing keys and clicking won't work, I've also tried some of the options on the monitor but when I press menu it says the card does not recognize the monitor. Which it doesn't. I've gone into catalyst control center to try to force find other monitors, as well as on the control panel in windows. (while having my tv and monitor plugged into GPU)

connect the pc to the tv again..and have the monitor connected. with the hdmi working go into windows and see if the video drivers are installed and the video card is working. the monitor should come on. be screen number two. if not check that the video res is not higher then the monitor can handle..if it is then the adaptore may be an issue. if the monitor comes on..reboot and go into the bios and change the bios video boot from onboard to pci. save and shut down. unplug the hdmi cable and power on..the monitor should now work. if not check online to see what the monitor spec are and if there a setting for analog and digital in the menu.

oobike

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

I just tried this, the computer detects the gpu, and my tv, I lowered the resolution to something I know the monitor could handle, yet it still doesn't come out of "power savings mode"