Question VGA No display when restarted

Dec 10, 2022
I built a new pc from scratch and it has been working fine for the past couple of weeks, however, recently, when the pc restarts the VGA light comes on and the monitor screen does not show a display. To resolve the issue I have to continuously reseat the GPU to get a display and make the VGA light turn off. If the PC is Shut Down after use and then turned back on there is no VGA issue so this only happens for restarts. I do clean installs of the Nvidia drivers whenever there is a new update. The only thing that is not up to date is the bios. I am hesitant to update it since I am not too sure what the issue is and do not want to possibly brick the motherboard when trying to update the bios. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance PRO (2x16GB) 3600mhz
PSU: Corsair RM750 ATX 80 Plus Gold
NZXT Kraken 53x 240mm
Case: Lian Li Lancool 205 Mesh C

UserBenchmarks: Game 138%, Desk 108%, Work 126%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 103.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060-Ti - 131.2%
SSD: WD Black SN770 NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 553%
SSD: Samsung 980 NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 304.8%
RAM: Corsair CMW32GX4M2D3600C18 2x16GB - 107.8%
MBD: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91)

shengton

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I built a new pc from scratch and it has been working fine for the past couple of weeks, however, recently, when the pc restarts the VGA light comes on and the monitor screen does not show a display. To resolve the issue I have to continuously reseat the GPU to get a display and make the VGA light turn off. If the PC is Shut Down after use and then turned back on there is no VGA issue so this only happens for restarts. I do clean installs of the Nvidia drivers whenever there is a new update. The only thing that is not up to date is the bios. I am hesitant to update it since I am not too sure what the issue is and do not want to possibly brick the motherboard when trying to update the bios. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance PRO (2x16GB) 3600mhz
PSU: Corsair RM750 ATX 80 Plus Gold
NZXT Kraken 53x 240mm
Case: Lian Li Lancool 205 Mesh C

UserBenchmarks: Game 138%, Desk 108%, Work 126%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 103.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060-Ti - 131.2%
SSD: WD Black SN770 NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 553%
SSD: Samsung 980 NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 304.8%
RAM: Corsair CMW32GX4M2D3600C18 2x16GB - 107.8%
MBD: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91)
It sounds like you are experiencing an issue with your graphics card not properly initializing when the system is restarted. There could be a few different reasons for this.

One possibility is that the graphics card is not properly seated in the motherboard. It's worth double checking to make sure that the graphics card is securely connected to the motherboard and that the power cables are properly connected. If you are using a riser for the graphics card, you may also want to check to make sure that the riser is properly connected.

Another possibility is that there is a problem with the power supply. Make sure that the power supply is providing enough power to the graphics card and that the power cables are properly connected. You may also want to check to see if the power supply is functioning properly by testing it with a power supply tester or by swapping it out with a known good power supply.

It's also possible that there is a problem with the graphics card itself. You may want to try testing the graphics card in a different system to see if the issue persists. If the issue does not occur in a different system, it is likely that there is a problem with the graphics card.

Finally, it's worth checking to see if there are any updated drivers or BIOS updates available for your motherboard and graphics card. Updating these can sometimes resolve issues like this. However, be careful when updating the BIOS as there is a risk of bricking the motherboard if something goes wrong. It's always a good idea to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully when updating the BIOS.

I hope this helps!