Question VGA not detected

Jun 18, 2019
Context: I have just received a new CPU and put it in a build I was previously using before having to send away my cpu for rma. I have two GPUs, one which is a faulty rx480 (driver crashes on multiple systems) and a gtx780 which I have been using for the past few months waiting for an RMA. Both the systems I have referred to were running off the same PSU.

Now for the problem: while my rx480 will work in my system with the new CPU (still crashing but can access windows and browse) my gtx780 will not display any image and will give me a beep code signifying no VGA detected. This is the same gtx that works flawlessly in the other system.

Specs:
X370 pro mobo
2x4gb ddr4 vengeance 2400
Ryzen 5 2600
Antec 550w EAG psu

Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your system ? If the RX 480 is faulty, then how come it's working fine now ? How old is the GTX 780 ? Did you connect all the PCI-e cables to this video card ?

The latest BIOS of your motherboard is Version 4801, dated 2019/05/10. Try to clear and reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default.

Jun 18, 2019
Hi metal Messiah, yes, that is the current version of BIOS installed on my mobo.

The rx480 crashes under load (have tried on many different systems - ex mining card I'm assuming that's where the issue stems) but it is fine light browsing.

The gtx780 is a few years old, but I have been using it for the last 2 months on the other system gaming with no issues. Yes, all pci-e cables installed on the card.

I have cleared the CMOS to no avail.

That sounds a bit strange. Just changing/swapping the CPU shouldn't make such a difference, unless you damaged some of the components accidentally, though I doubt this. Does the motherboard's integrated/onboard graphics work, assuming your CPU supports it ?

Can you boot the OS via iGPU ?

EDIT: According to your motherboard's specs, the Ryzen 5 2600 supports BIOS version 3803. Maybe try reverting back to this version instead, IF possible ??

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019
Very strange indeed. I've gone back to confirm that the gtx780 still works in the other system (it does).

No, the CPU does not support any onboard graphics unfortunately.

Currently the only way I have been able to boot with my 2600 has been with the rx480 connected.

According to your motherboard's specs, the Ryzen 5 2600 supports BIOS version 3803. Maybe try reverting back to this version instead, IF possible ?? Else, this looks like some compatibility issue with the system/mobo/CPU/GPU, or maybe the boot mode, UEFI via Legacy.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019
Will give that a shot in the morning, thanks for the suggestion.

Is it not strange that a compatability issue only presents itself with that card though, and not with the rx480? Is that common?

Regarding boot mode, I can't even get bios to display if I am trying to use the gtx780 so I don't think that would be a problem (not yet, atleast).

Jun 18, 2019
On looking at that BIOS revision it explicitly states if I have a later version I do not need to flash the BIOS so I didn't end up doing it.

Currently trying to source another card to see what it does.

Have just tried a different mobo (still with the 2600) and VGA is not detected.

Last edited: