[SOLVED] VGA On and No Display

Oct 18, 2021
Hi, so I am about at my wit's end with this problem. I've googled many similar issues and have yet to encounter a solution that has worked... so here it is...

Several weeks ago, between leaving for work and getting home, my PC sporting almost 10 year old parts suddenly had issues. The monitors stopped picking up signals from the PC itself, only booting to BIOS settings rarely but still working with an Xbox input (so I knew it wasn't the monitors themselves).

I replaced the motherboard (suspecting it to be the main problem) with a Asus Tuf Gaming B550-Plus, the CPU fan to fit the new board brackets, the CPU itself to a Ryzen 7 5800X, and got a pair of new DDR4 32gb ram sticks to work on the new build (the old sticks were ddr3 and not compatible with the board).

Once set up, everything worked smoothly for a few weeks... until this morning. The PC would no longer display... anything. After on/off working on it for 12 hours now, I'm at a total loss. Not once among the 50 reboots I've done have I even gotten the bios to show up. The PC starts, the LEDs flash, the hard-drives whirr, and the RAM and CPU motherboard lights flash fine... but then it either gets stuck on VGA or holds on VGA and also lights up the final boot light simultaneously...

Now... I've reseated the RAM, CPU, and GPU multiple times, power cycled the PC, tried running it with 1 stick of RAM and then the other and then switching slots multiple times... I've tried running it without the GPU and just the on board input, I've tried plugging the GPU in post-launch, I've tried removing the boards battery to reset CMOS, I've tried running it with no RAM, and I've tried unplugging and replugging just about every input from various PC components into the board (fans, drives, etc)... NOTHING has gotten me any closer to getting back to work or even getting a BIOS screen...

Please help before I lose my mind.

Solution
my first troubleshooting would be to remove the setup from the case,
remove everything from the motherboard,
configure a simple breadboard setup on a box or something non-conductive and see if you get past the current boot issue.

if so, start adding the rest of the components one-at-a-time until you get back to the issue.
whichever the last component installed was is more than likely the culprit.
or hopefully you get to a complete build and it now works.
my first troubleshooting would be to remove the setup from the case,
remove everything from the motherboard,
configure a simple breadboard setup on a box or something non-conductive and see if you get past the current boot issue.

if so, start adding the rest of the components one-at-a-time until you get back to the issue.
whichever the last component installed was is more than likely the culprit.
or hopefully you get to a complete build and it now works.

Solution