Question VGA port doesn't display

Jun 28, 2022
Hello, I have just acquired a new central unit with the following configuration:
- asus a320m-k socket am4 motherboard
-AMD Ryzen 3 pro 2100ge processor (Vega 3 graphics)
-Hard disk
-Ram 8g drr4 adata
-Power supply 250w acer
-Sumsung screen with two VGA and Dvi inputs
At first the processor was not recognized by the bios of my motherboard so I resorted to updating the bios to the latest version the problem is solved the HDMI port of the motherboard displays very well but when I switch to VGA the black screen appears (no signal).
I found on Google that there are recent AMD Ryzen processors that do not support the vga standard Where is the problem in my case?

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
If this is a pre-built system, then OK, but the ASUS A320M-K motherboard does not support the Ryzen 3 Pro 2100GE processor.
ASUS Prime A320M-K CPU Support List

If this is a pre-built system, then I suspect they have a custom BIOS that accepts the Ryzen 3 Pro 2100GE, but disabled the VGA output of the motherboard.

As for the "VGA Standard", it died many years ago. No discrete graphics card made in probably the last four or five years supports VGA. Integrated graphics might still be able to use it, but I don't know.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: punkncat
Jun 28, 2022
Wolfshadow
If this is a pre-built system, then OK, but the ASUS A320M-K motherboard does not support the Ryzen 3 Pro 2100GE processor.
ASUS Prime A320M-K CPU Support List

If this is a pre-built system, then I suspect they have a custom BIOS that accepts the Ryzen 3 Pro 2100GE, but disabled the VGA output of the motherboard.

As for the "VGA Standard", it died many years ago. No discrete graphics card made in probably the last four or five years supports VGA. Integrated graphics might still be able to use it, but I don't know.

-Wolf sends
Thanks for your collaboration
I found similar case but with the Ryzen 3 2200g processor that doesn't support VGA
Should I ask official constructors like Asus or AMD ?

Wolfshadw

Titan
When looking up Vega 8 (which is the graphics your processor uses), I did not find anything (in my brief search) that suggested it was digital only (DVI, HDMI, DP). Again, it depends on the builder of your system. You mentioned that it has an Acer 250watt PSU. Is this an Acer computer or did you just grab that out of a different system?

If it's an Acer computer, then there is no telling what they did to the ASUS motherboard they used (or how they got the unsupported processor to work).
If you built the system, then it's probably just a fluke that the processor works and the reason it's not on the support list is because analog (VGA) graphics won't work

Both are just guesses on my part.
The only fact here is that the processor is not officially supported on that motherboard and that entails any number of quirks that you may experience.

-Wolf sends

Jun 28, 2022
I precise that i made this system myself
the motherboard haven't the ability to convert HDMI to VGA both ports are only outputs for displaying what GPU produces and Personally I think Apu is the cause.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022
When looking up Vega 8 (which is the graphics your processor uses), I did not find anything (in my brief search) that suggested it was digital only (DVI, HDMI, DP). Again, it depends on the builder of your system. You mentioned that it has an Acer 250watt PSU. Is this an Acer computer or did you just grab that out of a different system?

If it's an Acer computer, then there is no telling what they did to the ASUS motherboard they used (or how they got the unsupported processor to work).
If you built the system, then it's probably just a fluke that the processor works and the reason it's not on the support list is because analog (VGA) graphics won't work

Both are just guesses on my part.
The only fact here is that the processor is not officially supported on that motherboard and that entails any number of quirks that you may experience.

-Wolf sends
I have updated the bios to his latest version from Asus website this motherboard is a 2016 release and Apu is 2019 but am4 socket
Ryzen 3 2100 he uses Vega 3 if that can help Vega 8 is more recent

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hdmi is a digital signal. It does not carry analog signals. Vga is analog signals. It requires an Active (powered seperately) converter to physically change digital signals to analog or vice versa. That's not built into your motherboard. It's not the fault of the cpu, it's not an issue as such, other than to you personally as you are trying to make 1 thing into another, when by itself it's incapable of such.

Trying to make a silk purse into a sows ear. Doesn't work that way.

Dvi and hdmi are basically the same thing, requires only a connection for both.

Wolfshadw

Titan
There is no Ryzen 3 2100; only a Ryzen 3 PRO 2100GE (details matter).
I would note that a Google search for just the Ryzen 3 2100 actually brings up results for the Ryzen 3 1200 (which, btw uses Vega 3 graphics).
In truth, I have to admit that when I searched for the Ryzen 3 Pro 2100, I actually clicked on the results for Ryzen 3 Pro 2200 (which uses Vega 8 graphics).

Again, the issue is most likely with motherboard compatibility. Since the Ryzen 3 PRO 2100GE is not on the compatibility list, the lack of VGA graphics is a probable result.

-Wolf sends

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There is no Ryzen 3 2100; only a Ryzen 3 PRO 2100GE (details matter).
I would note that a Google search for just the Ryzen 3 2100 actually brings up results for the Ryzen 3 1200 (which, btw uses Vega 3 graphics).

Ryzen 3 1200 is a CPU, not APU, it has no integrated graphics. (details matter 🤣). Vega 3 graphics was used in the 2200G, and some mobile APU's.
The way AMD bounces these numbers around, changing letters etc it's easy to get a little corn-fuzzled.

Reactions: Wolfshadw

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Sort of drifting off the subject, but the last CPU with integrated graphics that I have personal experience with that will operate a VGA output is an 8th gen Intel. This is on a super cheapo B or H chipset "office" type mobo that I bought specifically FOR that ability so that I didn't have to (also) update both monitors at that station.