[SOLVED] VGA Problems

Nov 29, 2019
Two days ago, the VGA quit working. Last time this happened, it took four days for my computer to work again, but the video stopped working permanently about a week after. It wasn't anything like colours flashing then it stopped, the screen just went black. The computer boots fine, however. Through some tests, I verified that my video was not the problem, as HDMI worked perfectly, and switching VGA cords did nothing. Normally I'd use HDMI but my monitor is pretty old and doesn't support anything but VGA and DVI. Was wondering if there are any solutions that don't include buying another monitor or motherboard. Even though I have replaced the motherboard once already with another I had lying around, I do not own any more that would work with the stuff I have.

Specs:
Processor: Core i3-4160 3.6GHz
RAM: 8 Gigs
Motherboard: yoinked from a Dell Optiplex, has had no problems until now.

Solution
That just might work, I kinda forgot that an adapter for that existed. While I don't have a lot of money, if this is the only solution I will definitely look into it more.
It is worth the few $$$ required. VGA requires two conversions between your graphics card and flat panel monitor. Those conversions hurt the sharpness of the display. Using DVI with an HDMI cable allows an all digital path to the monitor. Your screen should look sharper with the DVI input.

kanewolf

Titan
That just might work, I kinda forgot that an adapter for that existed. While I don't have a lot of money, if this is the only solution I will definitely look into it more.
It is worth the few $$$ required. VGA requires two conversions between your graphics card and flat panel monitor. Those conversions hurt the sharpness of the display. Using DVI with an HDMI cable allows an all digital path to the monitor. Your screen should look sharper with the DVI input.

Solution

ViktorHX

Commendable
Nov 24, 2019
As Kanewolf said, buying an adapter / reducer from HDMI to VGA oder DVI (DVI for more sharpness) would fix your problem.

I doubt it doesn't cost more then 10 bucks.