Question VGA red led fault gtx 980 strix 4gb edition

Mar 7, 2023
Hello today i purchased a second hand gpu (gtx 980 strix 4gb edition) to put into my sons build, i tested it on his setup and it wont post the fans do spin, i have the red VGA light showing on the motherboard and im just wondering if the card itself is dead, the cpu has integrated graphics (i5-7600) i disabled that feature in the bios to make sure it was not that, the board is a gigabyte B250 HD3P ram used was Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO i tried one stick and duel channel, ssd M.2 970 EVO, psu 600w 80plus bronze, can confirm it posts and boots with my 3060 OC.

Mar 7, 2023
Have you tried the 980 in your system? As your 3060 is working in their system, I would suspect it is a bad card.
i have not as i do not wish to drain my loop I'm going to guess that its just a bad graphics card as everything else in this config works, do you know how difficult / expensive repairs are for these older cards?

for now he can just use my old 3060OC which is complete overkill for his rig lol.

i can test this card on my brothers mobo this weekend to rule out compatibility issues.