cheesybacon

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Hello

I am not asking this because I have a 20 yr old computer that only supports vga output..

But I am asking if there is anyway to go from a vga output on a laptop to an hdmi input for a tv. For one thing I could only find the converter boxes that are huge or cables that do not support laptop output(that was on amazon.com) The reason being simply that I would like to put the laptop display on my tv... And yes I know that vga does not support sound, but best buy has a Y audio cable that will do that for me..

So if anybody knows if they do make somehting like this somewhere I can't find, or wheter or not I can take an hdmi cable, cut it in the middle, then take a vga cable and cut it in the middle, put the two together and tada it will work.

Thanks.

Solution
it won't work because VGA is compressed while HDMI is uncompressed so you will need a tool to uncompress the data in the cable

in other words, you won't find it cuz it takes a lot more power and space to uncompress the data than what you can fit in a cable

which is why you will need a converter box

Upendra09

Distinguished
it won't work because VGA is compressed while HDMI is uncompressed so you will need a tool to uncompress the data in the cable

in other words, you won't find it cuz it takes a lot more power and space to uncompress the data than what you can fit in a cable

which is why you will need a converter box

Solution