vga??what to buy?

Skougreece

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
hey guys...i have some new hardware and i need a crafics card... my specs till now is
cpu intel core i5 4460 @ 3.2 ghz
2 x 4gb kit vulcan teamgroup 2400 ram
mobo asus maximus vii ranger
and i have from my last pc a vga ati radeon hd 5750

i play only league of legents on medium settings and over when im playing my pc stucks after 7-10 minutes on black screen and i play at low settings and there is no problem...i instaled late catalist drivers etc and nothing,i put vga fan at 100% and same...something happened and the same happened on my last pc too...i am looking foward to buy a new vga and i have 280e to spend for it..i am an asus fan and i want to ask you which one its better for me to buy
1-asus radeon r9 280x 3gb directcuii or
2-asus rog geforce gtx760 4gb striker platinum?
same money 10 e i think cheaper is the r9 but i love this rog :)
thank you for your time
greetings from beautifull greece!

Solution

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I have a r9 280x and I love it. I am not a huge gamer but it does the job great.

I bought the r9 used to save some cash. Check into it, if it wasn't use to do mining, you should save a few bucks buying used.

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
A good match for that CPU would definitely be something like an R9 280x. You are right, the R9 series is pretty cheap compared to other cards, and they are still very powerful. Also, as you already have Catalyst drivers installed, there will likely be less hassle in that department.

One thing you might consider is that games are generally better optimized for Nvidia hardware. If you're going to buy the 760, do not, I repeat, do NOT get a 4GB version. They are not worth it. The chipset has only a 256-bit memory width and as such is not fast enough to handle a 4GB frame buffer. You won't get any performance increase in buying 4GB as opposed to 2GB - the 4GB models are more expensive, and are thus a waste of money. Buying a 2GB will save you ~€50, if my currency conversion is correct.

You mentioned VGA in your post title-- is that the connection you are using? If that's the case, be careful-- make sure your graphics card comes with a DVI to VGA adapter, else you won't be able to use the card. Neither of the cards you listed include a VGA out. My 760 came with an adapter, but I can't be sure other GPUs include them, so check on that before you make a purchase.

Anyway, buying either card will get you power to easily max League, with room to spare, as well as most other games.

All the best. Good luck.

Skougreece

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

my chipset?please explain me i dont understand you..i havent so much exp.. and if you can check my hardware i say i have and if its easy for you tell me a grafics card in your opinion is best for my system.

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014

Basically, the chipset is the part of the card that's responsible for controlling the data flow that goes through it. When you say chipset you are referring to what you usually think about when you talk about graphics cards. For example, the Asus ROG GTX 760's chipset is GTX 760, and the Asus Radeon R9 280X's chipset is R9 280X. Simple.

As far as which card is best for your system, it's really up to personal preference at that point. Both cards will work wonderfully in your current system, as I said you'll be able to easily max League.

If you want me to go into specific differences... the one thing you might consider is that AMD GPUs with the GCN (Graphics Core Next) architecture (i.e. the R9 280X you listed) have the ability to render 3D objects with AMD's Mantle API. It is an alternative to DirectX that (supposedly) gives you a performance boost. Not all games support Mantle, and as far as I know there aren't that many that do at the moment. I don't know how much that boost is or what games will work with Mantle, as I have an Nvidia card and thus cannot use it. And, I forgot to mention - the R9 card you mentioned has 3GB of video RAM and the 384-bit memory width to support it - as such, you will get a bit more raw power out of it than the 760.

On the Nvidia side, as I said before games usually have better support for Nvidia hardware, but as far as I can tell that generally doesn't mean much.

If you want my personal opinion, I'd say the Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II is the better choice. Especially since it is probably cheaper.

All the best.

Solution

Skougreece

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

dude one last question whats the difference between Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II and ASUS Radeon R9 280 DirectCU II ??

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014

Oh, there's really not much of a difference. The 280X has a little higher core clock than the 280 (without the X), and a couple more texture mapping units. That makes the 280X just slightly more powerful.